Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I get to do a head swap :(

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    July 2007

Thanks

I get to do a head swap :(

After diagnosing over and over again I think I've found my problem which went away for a while oddly enough. I have no compression over cylinder 6 so I'm thinking valves, all other cylinders are fine so I'm just going to pop the head off confirm my thinking (I hope) and swap a new head on there and reset timing. Car ran for about a week, I didnt drive it though I was on campus most of the time. Anyway one day it just stopped starting. Went back through and checked compression and #6 is ZERO.

This will be fun as I've only pulled a rear head once in the car and it was non turbo and I didnt have to worry about putting it back. So I will have to be more careful to not break shit lol

Wish me luck, I'll take photos and try and document the fun. Oh and Yes I do know its much easier with the engine out. I just left the hoist at my warehouse and dont really wanna pull it even if I had it. I know I can do this, I've done everything else on my cars at this point.
    Current cars: 94 SL-AWD, 95 VR4, 94 VR4 (parts car), 95 VR4 Spyder (fixing)
    Past cars: 93TT-Parted, 92TT-Parted, 94NA-Parted, 95TT-Parted, 93SL-Parted, 91VR4-Sold, 91VR4-Sold
    STEALTHS ARE LIKE A TWIN BROTHER, GOOD FOR PARTS!!

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 0 nogreatloss's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I just finished swapping heads on mine. Really not that difficult. Just remember to buy new head bolts, as the stock ones are usually not able to be re-torqued to spec.

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When I had 0 compression on a cylinder, there ended up being a hole in my piston

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) B-Man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You can always get the head checked/decked to be sure it was a valve.
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Owner Since
    July 2007

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nogreatloss View Post
    I just finished swapping heads on mine. Really not that difficult. Just remember to buy new head bolts, as the stock ones are usually not able to be re-torqued to spec.
    Oh I know its not too difficult, just not something I wanted to do. Got a new head gasket and headbolts already. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    When I had 0 compression on a cylinder, there ended up being a hole in my piston
    I see no reason there would be a hole in my piston, all signs point to problems with my heads/valves

Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    You can always get the head checked/decked to be sure it was a valve.
    I will see once I get the head off, if the piston is fine its gotta be my head for one reason or another.

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) billbrown72's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    good luck.....last night was my last night at work...have 4 days off which will be spent yanking my motor-tranny to begin tear down to see the extent of damage to mine...haven't had the pleasure yet of doing any internal engine work on my car till now!
    13t's, complete fuel upgrades, afpr,fmic,maxumal solids,hyperblack saleens,safc2, greddy ebc,

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can you hear where the compression is going ? Have you pulled the valve cover to watch the valves and see how they are acting ? Losing compression completely in one cylinder is odd without hearing something clanging around.

owner since 2004 Feedback Score 0 colt45 gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    maybe the lifters are blocked and stuck in the fully infated position?
    pull the lash adjusters and gently squeeze them out in a vice, if they dont move that thats the problem. but i would pull the open valves and put them in a pilla drill or a drill chuck and rotate them slowly to see if they spin irregularly.
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Owner Since
    July 2007

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billbrown72 View Post
    good luck.....last night was my last night at work...have 4 days off which will be spent yanking my motor-tranny to begin tear down to see the extent of damage to mine...haven't had the pleasure yet of doing any internal engine work on my car till now!
    Yanking the motor I can do and quickly. I just dislike it completely. Also don't want to dump all my fluids as they are all new call me cheap. Plus this is a good learning experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    Can you hear where the compression is going ? Have you pulled the valve cover to watch the valves and see how they are acting ? Losing compression completely in one cylinder is odd without hearing something clanging around.
    Its going no where. Actually I got the head off one valve is stuck open. Cylinder walls look good, going to further examine potential damage. It didnt run for more than a few seconds this way thankfully.

Anyone know what causes a valve to get stuck open? Also I should note one of my damn lifters is also stuck up. Anyhow I've taken quite a few pictures that I'll put up later. Truthfully its not as bad as everyone says "just pull the motor" Take the hood off and there is plenty of room back there to work. Doesn't make it any more fun but very doable.

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A lifter being stuck up will cause a valve to be stuck open.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast