Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having a brain dead moment.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 reallyxxxxxxloud's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    Youll be under powering the subs by quite a bit. Theyll sound alright just make sure you never go loud enough to distort or youll blow the subs.
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg
    Youll be feeding each one 105 watts, something like a third of what theyre supposed to get. If you can tell when things distort, turn the gain for that channel all the way down on the amp, then the volume all the way up on the stereo. Find some earplugs, and slowly increase the gain on the amp until the subs distort. Back it down a notch and you should be alright.

Hope that helps.
    That's incorrect, well in some areas... Firstly they are dual 6ohm subs. So if you basically wire all V/C's back to the amp you will get a 1.5 ohm load. This will be totally fine to run this amp at this load. What you may find is it may have thermal protection that might shut down the amp when or if it heats up with trying to drive it into clipping. I'd say if anything the rated RMS wont change much with loading it at 1.5 (box impedance rise should alter this and increase in 99% of the time the load the amp sees anyhow).

To be fair these subs will handle 1200 wrms (basically their V/C's thermal handling threshold) and your only feeding 420 wrms and about 400wrms is turned into heat at the V/C and 20wrms is actually used to make music (Pretending/saying/guessing the sub is 5% efficient (this is not to be confused with the SPL efficiency of the sub usually taken at 1w1m).

Now if you were to push the amp into 20% distortion/clipping it should sound horrid and easy to hear the distortion. This will give you about 500 watts with about 80 watts of clipped power. As that 80 watts will be nearly turned into 100% heat at the V/C it still is only 480 watts turned into heat at the V/C and is way within the heat capability of the thermal capabilities of these subs. There's no way these coils should burn. You are more likely to destroy (due to constantly over driving the amp) the amp before the subs or cause the amps to send something nasty like 12 volts DC to your subs when your amp blows up...

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXBoost View Post
    What's the length on one of those?
    W:25-1/4"
    H:2-1/2"
    L:13"

more info on it http://www.drdetailshop.com/dd2205.htm

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USDM-GTO View Post
    The only amp that comes to mind without doing an all day search is the Directed D2205.
    Sub output, 14.4V supply:
    4 OHM 200rms
    2 OHM 400rms
    1 OHM 600rms, yes 1 OHM stable. I used this on a pair of Kicker CVR 12" 400rms.
    lol due to everyone getting ohms incorrect this amp will produce roughly the same power the Kicker will produce at 1.5 ohms. Sorry guys I had to laugh.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXBoost View Post
    Right. I saw all of that from the manual on the amp. I was more looking at if it was possible to get that 420W figure for the moment.

In the meantime, is there a better 5 channel amp out there that would run these subs somewhat better?
    Stick with what you have or just run one sub at 3 ohms and that will give you about 315 wrms and just use a bigger box (a sealed 2.5cf will give you about 3db extra output, which is equal to another woofer anyhow).

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    double post
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 09-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sorry i came across some wrong stats. thought they were dual 4ohm at 300ish rms.

Id say reallyxxloud's solution is good, that or get a mono amp that will handle both and use this one for speakers/sell it.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Unless I'm wrong it's 300 wrms per coil but I may be incorrect there. Anyhow it doesn't matter for this.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    lol due to everyone getting ohms incorrect this amp will produce roughly the same power the Kicker will produce at 1.5 ohms. Sorry guys I had to laugh.
    The Kicker amp isnt stable below 2ohm. You even said so yourself. The Directed amp I am talking about is 1ohm stable. It will play at 1ohm all day long.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I'd like to see where I stated the amp isn't stable below 2 ohms... Any amp will play stable at even .25 ohms as long as it doesn't have short protection and isn't ran into clip...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12