Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSM TD04 MAF-less pre-turbo pipes

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

SSM TD04 MAF-less pre-turbo pipes

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here is my review of the SSM's TD04 MAFless preturbo pipes.

Ignoring the fact that these took almost a month to receive, I honestly wouldn't suggest these to anyone.

First impressions:
    2011-07-23 15.18.49.jpg

2011-07-23 15.19.36.jpg
    No beads rolled on the ends. Not really necessary, but it's something I'd expect from a quality product

2011-07-23 15.19.07.jpg
    I have no idea what this is about. The rest of the pipes are mandrel bent, and it's even shown on their website as all mendrel. I received this. Still not getting a fuzzy feeling from this product.

Install day. PITA. The T-bolts on the turbo side don't fit so I decide to use the worm clamps temporarily. Finally get the rear in.

2011-07-25 18.25.10.jpg
    2011-07-25 18.12.08.jpg
    I should have test fitted the front because there was no way in hell this was gonna fit. I'm gonna go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt and say that's because of the way my front mount is routed. Even if that were out of the way, chances are with those sized filters, similar to what's shown on their website, they wouldn't fit.

I have a couple more pictures over the attachment size limit I will try to add somehow.

Pics from their site for reference:
    Last edited by B-Man; 07-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Does look like that ic piping is in the way of the front pipe but dayum, that sucks that it looks like it's only designed for the kit in that website pic
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post

Install day. PITA. The T-bolts on the turbo side don't fit so I decide to use the worm clamps temporarily. Finally get the rear in.
    THE t-bolt clamps for the turbo sides were standard 2" which fit over the reducers provided. you need to retain the factory rubber inserts for td04 turbos unless your turbos have been resleeved such as 19T turbos then you will come into some issues depending on what size sleeve is in the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    I should have test fitted the front because there was no way in hell this was gonna fit. I'm gonna go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt and say that's because of the way my front mount is routed. Even if that were out of the way, chances are with those sized filters, similar to what's shown on their website, they wouldn't fit.
    The way your intercooler piping is routed is in the way of the front intake. With that pipe shifter you would be able to rotate the pipe to the equal level of the rear pipe and be able to fit the filter. However your filter does look a little large but it should fit.

Your intake pipes took a month because of the shipping mix up where you received brake lines instead of the intake pipes. Unlike yourself who was honest about it the other customer did not return them so we had to ship you another set.

If you are not happy with your set we can make you a new set suited to your intercooler piping at no charge to you. please email me pictures of how everything is currently fitting along with the name brand of your FMIC and images of the front turbo piping. No need to send the old ones back maybe some one else here on the forum could use them

I have a couple more pictures over the attachment size limit I will try to add somehow.

Pics from their site for reference:
    [/QUOTE]

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chatzvr4 View Post
    the t-bolt clamps for the turbo sides were standard 2" which fit over the reducers provided. You need to retain the factory rubber inserts for td04 turbos unless your turbos have been resleeved such as 19t turbos then you will come into some issues depending on what size sleeve is in the turbo.
    They fit over the reducers, but when I put the reducers on the turbo, they stretched and the 2" clamp would no longer fit.

the way your intercooler piping is routed is in the way of the front intake. With that pipe shifter you would be able to rotate the pipe to the equal level of the rear pipe and be able to fit the filter. However your filter does look a little large but it should fit.

Your intake pipes took a month because of the shipping mix up where you received brake lines instead of the intake pipes. Unlike yourself who was honest about it the other customer did not return them so we had to ship you another set.
    I understand the shipping mix up, but I received an e-mail that said they had been shipped on 7/7. Tracking number I received when I called showed it shipped substantially later. If something had happened to where they shipped out late, an e-mail would have made it more clear as to what was going on.

If you are not happy with your set we can make you a new set suited to your intercooler piping at no charge to you. Please email me pictures of how everything is currently fitting along with the name brand of your fmic and images of the front turbo piping. No need to send the old ones back maybe some one else here on the forum could use them

i have a couple more pictures over the attachment size limit i will try to add somehow.
    Thank you for trying to make a resolution for this issue. Speaks a lot for the character of the company. I had expected them to run along the same route the stock pipes run (which don't interfere with my FMIC) I will PM you and see if we can work something out.

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    wtf is up with that rear turbo pipe? might as well run a filter directly on the turbo in that case
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
    wtf is up with that rear turbo pipe? might as well run a filter directly on the turbo in that case
    That's what I do

Too much of a pain in the ass to do otherwise, imo.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    That's what I do

Too much of a pain in the ass to do otherwise, imo.
    Pics or ban!

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3000 View Post
    Pics or ban!
    I'm not the only one to do this. Hell, I know people who actually run their turbos OPEN... I just couldn't do that. I can get the part numbers to the specific filters I use on my turbos (stock). They fit perfectly, and best of all, I have so much free space now.

On the downside, many people seem to think that the lack of intake tubing loses HP. Matt Monet lost a small amount when he tested it on the dyno, but he also has a 1000+ HP car, so it's really not credible evidence.

For as much of a pita the intake piping was for me, I think I'll cut my losses and deal with the 5HP loss, if it's even that.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Part #'s?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Amazon.com: K&N R-1100 Universal Rubber Filter: Automotive
    Amazon.com: K&N RC-2310 Universal Chrome Filter: Automotive

The first one is angled and it goes on the rear turbo. With it being angled, it clears some of the stuff down there perfectly. I remember trying to fit the straight one on the rear and it wouldn't quite clear.

Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. Had the setup like this all summer long, and everything is holding up.

This is optional, but on the front filter, I drilled and fitted a barbed fitting for the PCV. I like having a vacuum source for the breather, instead of venting it, so that's what I did.