Thread: What Should My Next Mod Be?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks

What Should My Next Mod Be?

Well I have a couple of ideas:

1. Fuel System. Already have fuel rail loop, hotwire, and a AFPR. Just need to piece together some line from the AFPR to the stock feed line, buy a good pump, and buy STM's tank to rail kit. Probably around $450. I like this idea because my stock fuel system has almost 170,000 miles on it and could die on me any day now (this is my only car).

2. Put in my new transmission/TC. This would require me buying new mounts, new clutch, new fluid, and possibly new hydraulic stuff. I would also have to install my 300M shaft into the new transmission. A lot of work, but I would like to make sure the transmission works ok before too long so I can go back to the seller in a reasonable amount of time. On the other hand, I would like to go to the track and practice launching/shifting fast on the current transmission. Cost for this would probably be around $600.

3. Put in Megan coilovers/Maximal control arms. I've been wanting to do my suspension since forever as my struts are shot and probably killing my new wheel bearings (and the rest of the car). This is, however, the most expensive and I'm not sure if one of the other two mods should come first. Total cost here would probably be around $950.

Any input? How are those new Deatschwerks pumps working out? Are they direct drop in?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    This may be off topic but what AFPR are you using?
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since
    oh five

Thanks
    how do you plan on getting all that tranny stuff and transmission mounts(?)/ hydraulics for 600? my tcase is leaky, and i always figured the only real fix would be a new casing, or a billet front part. since replacing the seals or whatever didn't work.

and have you seen these?
    Supercar Engineering

i plan on getting them. my only concern: is the weight difference between the two cars causing an issue. i dunno, they seem great. that's 150 plus your springs and struts. there are far more options for coilovers, and i'm thinking about going stock blisteins, if that's even what comes on evolutions stock.

but yeah, i'm planning on throwing together my struts/springs for 360 dollars or so.

good luck

_isiah

awhh, you did it!//oheay fuck you
    _isiah

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I vote 1 - 3 Lou haha

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    This may be off topic but what AFPR are you using?
    Now it's stock. I have a Fuellab in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    how do you plan on getting all that tranny stuff and transmission mounts(?)/ hydraulics for 600? my tcase is leaky, and i always figured the only real fix would be a new casing, or a billet front part. since replacing the seals or whatever didn't work.

and have you seen these?
    Supercar Engineering

i plan on getting them. my only concern: is the weight difference between the two cars causing an issue. i dunno, they seem great. that's 150 plus your springs and struts. there are far more options for coilovers, and i'm thinking about going stock blisteins, if that's even what comes on evolutions stock.

but yeah, i'm planning on throwing together my struts/springs for 360 dollars or so.

good luck

_isiah
    Well I already have the brace, 300M shaft, and trans. Just need clutch (XTD from eBay probably), fluid, and mounts (polys for ~$300 or wait for 3SX sale and even cheaper).

I saw those adapters but I feel as though that adds to the cost as you can't get coilovers for Evos any cheaper than for our cars. If I would go with a stock Evo setup that may be a good alternative but I don't know if the handling/adjustability is there compared to buying struts/springs designed for our cars.

Let me know what you end up doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Beef6 View Post
    I vote 1 - 3 Lou haha
    Haha me too! Maybe by the time I'm 30 I'll have those three done. Then I'll make another thread asking if I should rebuild my 300K mile longblock or replace turbos. By the way did you get my message?

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd go with #2, Lou. Your 2nd gear was pretty much terrible, as you know. I'd also just go with the 3SX OEM replacement mounts here which are a great price.

Your fuel system is already not too bad (besides the tons of miles) and I'd probably just buy a pump and install what you have and spend the money on the trans stuff.

Megan coilovers are a decent street setup, but I only ever got a ride in Kevin's SL around a mall lol. You should know that I'm much more about handling than about going super fast in a straight line though... So in that aspect Megan coilovers aren't that great for all out handling and the Evo setup with properly valved dampers would be much better. If you're going to go with budget coilovers just go with Megans and forget about the adapters.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    I'd go with #2, Lou. Your 2nd gear was pretty much terrible, as you know. I'd also just go with the 3SX OEM replacement mounts here which are a great price.

Your fuel system is already not too bad (besides the tons of miles) and I'd probably just buy a pump and install what you have and spend the money on the trans stuff.

Megan coilovers are a decent street setup, but I only ever got a ride in Kevin's SL around a mall lol. You should know that I'm much more about handling than about going super fast in a straight line though... So in that aspect Megan coilovers aren't that great for all out handling and the Evo setup with properly valved dampers would be much better. If you're going to go with budget coilovers just go with Megans and forget about the adapters.

Believe it or not I'm much better with second gear now haha Maybe it's from driving beat to hell trucks all summer long. My mounts aren't terrible (I don't think) but I kind of wanted to go poly just because I heard they are easier on the transmission/TC when driving hard. Kind of worried about vibration but also don't want to even risk damaging my parts on launches/etc. You still think stock is the way to go?

The thing with the fuel system is I would like to do it all at once. My fuel pump assy is rusted to hell so if I take it out stuff is gunna break and I feel like I may as well slap in the $200 STM kit while I'm at it, you know?

Coilovers will definitely be a budget setup. Probably stock Evo stuff or Megans unless I find something nice and cheap in terms of Evo coilovers.

Thanks for the info! (Send me a message sometime let me know how your doing)

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, the poly mounts might be easier on the trans and stuff. You could always just do poly front and rear or something, but I think brand new OEM mounts would be a well priced option if you're worried about the vibrations.

I didn't take a pic of my fuel pump assembly before I took it out, but it was terrible looking. Loads of PB Blaster and it came right apart. Besides, Ryan did a nice guide on how to fix the studs lol. The STM kit looks fantastic for that price though, which is kinda tempting....

Stock Evo Bilsteins can be revalved to match our cars needs. I'd suggest finding out the motion ratios and weight distribution and going from there if that's what you end up doing.

I'll shoot you a text when I get a chance, it's been a long time.

Player Hater of the Year
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Foxtail on the antenna for the ladies!