View Poll Results: Which IC for 16Ts for 450awhp?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • DSM SMIC

2 33.33%
  • Dual Core FMIC

4 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16Ts, SMIC or FMIC? Only shooting for 450awhp.

Stress free wheel gap. Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

16Ts, SMIC or FMIC? Only shooting for 450awhp.

So I am at 380awhp right now.

I am on stock catback and stock smic right now and looking to get to 450awhp and nothing more.

I have a new catback coming soon, now I need to decide if something like a dsm smic will be enough to meet my goals. Would an fmic be overkill? I've read several threads that seem to point to dsm smics being sufficient for my power levels, however, there are just as many pointing to going fmic.

I've been debating this internally for a few months now and I feel like it is time to act on getting a new intercooler setup .

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    I'm in for information as well. Some people are like OMG FMIC GAVE ME 50WHP while others say the only difference is overheating more and takes longer to heat soak. Honestly on my 9B car running low boost I've never had a time where my SMICs were that hot. I'm sure with higher boost it would change, but that alone makes me lean heavily to DSM SMICs. Plus they are cheaper and I don't want to worry about overheating.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    you may as well keep it simple and run sidemounts if your stock piping is in good shape

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I pulled my side mounts which were trashed and swapped in a dual core to find that my knock issues were LARGELY due to heat soak. That has nothing to do with your upgrade, though, and I think this may come down to which you prefer looks wise more than power wise. I wanted to have everything tossed into one spot (front of my car), and I love the look of the fmic ESPECIALLY after putting it in and seeing it on my car. What is the price difference between the two? If side mounts slip right in without any problems and you're looking for a sleeper setup, then go with them. If you don't mind pulling the bumper, tossing in a front mount and showing off the ic then go the fmic way. Personal preference plays a huge role here.

Just to add in my experiences with the front mount and overheating...it has never been an issue. My car runs the same temps now as it did before the front mount and that is with 100+ degree days in both stop and go as well as freeway driving.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    450awhp? FMIC will help, exhaust will help, but unless you get rid of the stock MAF your going to struggle no matter what you do. I would get a MAFT and 3.5" maf. I don't know your mods so I'm assuming your still stock maf.

As far as front mount if you DD in an area that has summer temps above a 100 pretty regular, go with side mounts.

Most powerful 13T car in the world @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, SS Headers and O2 housings front, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Ah yes, it would help to provide more info on mods. I didn't have the list at work when I posted it, but here they are.

550CC Injectors
    Walbro Fuel Pump + Hotwire Kit
    3sx Fuel Rail Kit
    3sxecutioner turbos (Heard these were ~16Ts)
    Dejon Blow-Through setup with GM Maf and Maf translator
    2 K&N Intake Filters
    Turbosmart supersonic BOV
    Krank Vents
    Catch Can
    Turbosmart e-Boost Street Boost Controller
    Prosport WB A/F and Boost Gauge
    3sx Poly Motor Mounts
    3sx Downpipe mated to Stock Catback (New catback is currently on route across the states!)
    3sx Single Pass Radiator

Also, it is a 1st gen. I am interested in doing a 2nd gen or 99 conversion, but not 100% on doing that yet. I like the way your FMIC looks VR3.9, did you have to do any bumper modification or cutting of the crash bar? I would prefer NOT to lose my crash bar. Since I am running Blow-Through, I'd like to keep that set up. That is why I am debating between oohnoo's dual core FMIC or SMIC as an upgrade, but please correct me if I am wrong in assuming so and if there are other FMIC options that would work.

The car is not a DD. I drive it maybe 2 times a month to work. I only drive when the High is below 90F and the Low is above 50F. Other than that, it just sits in the garage as an expensive garage ornament.
    Last edited by YoshiBishi; 07-20-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I know you're not asking me but I enjoy the extra post on my count :P I have a 1g and the dual core and was able to leave the crash bar in tact 100%. I did, however, have to trim the bumper a bit and ended up getting rid of the separator between the smic duct on the bumper and the fog light.

I know, it's a stealth, but i'm sure you get the idea. I could have simply trimmed the piece to allow the pipe to fit against the bumper but decided to do away with it all together. That's the only thing I had to change on the bumper.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you get the DNP Pipe kit or the OEM version?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    For intercooler pipes I just have the stock ones in the engine bay. Upgraded my y-pipe and pre turbo pipes but that doesn't matter. Oohnoo's pipes fit beautifully. I would highly recommend going with his full setup if you do go that route.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Ah okay. You've convinced me. However, I think I may want to get the hard pipe kit though. Anyone know the best place to source the DNP Hard Pipe Kit? I was thinking maybe IPS.