Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got experience with Evaporitive Coolers?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Anyone got experience with Evaporitive Coolers?

The temperatures are staying above a 100 and I have a lot of work to do in the garage. I started thinking about using an evaporative cooler. I guess you can't just put one in and close the door or it will just get to humid. So any body tired one or use one?

Most powerful 13T car in the world @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, SS Headers and O2 housings front, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    a swamp cooler? they're great. in fact, i know a guy who has one on his hot-rod (it looks like a missile launcher...lol!)

they do need to be in an enclosed space, but with appropriate ventilation. leaving your garage door open will kill its effectiveness. the movie theatre in my hometown was cooled by swamp cooler, and it was always nice a chilly in the middle of july.

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Wouldnt it rust up everything in the garage?

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    I feel your pain. Was doing some work on one of my cars last week and had to go towel off the sweat about every 15 min. I put a decent sized Tornado style fan in there and it helps, but I'm thinking a better solution would be to get one of those portable air conditioners. This one is good for 400 sq ft spaces (a two car garage.)

Amazon.com: Whynter Eco-Friendly 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, Platinum (ARC-12S): Home & Garden

I'm sure you can find better pricing, this was just a quick search. It looks like you'll need about 12k btu's to cool the average garage.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    imagine how trevor feels...

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    I feel your pain. Was doing some work on one of my cars last week and had to go towel off the sweat about every 15 min. I put a decent sized Tornado style fan in there and it helps, but I'm thinking a better solution would be to get one of those portable air conditioners. This one is good for 400 sq ft spaces (a two car garage.)

Amazon.com: Whynter Eco-Friendly 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, Platinum (ARC-12S): Home & Garden

I'm sure you can find better pricing, this was just a quick search. It looks like you'll need about 12k btu's to cool the average garage.
    I don't want to use an AC. My electric bill is already through the roof. Plus AC like a more sealed insulated enivronment. Swamp coolers need some ventilaiton and move a lot more air.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I think I made up my mind. I'm going to go pick one of these up this afternoon. Reading the reviews makes me think I might just get 2 more and kiss my huge electric bills good bye. I like that it won't take up any room in the garage too. I'll let you guys know how it works. If it works anywhere near as well as they say I might start getting some things done.

Find a Bon-Aire Durango Window/Wall Evaporative Cooler - WEAC628 at The Home Depot

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Let us know how you like it. The only thing I don't love about my new house is that the garage faces west, so it's hotter than hell in the evening.
    '93 VR4 | 10.57 @ 135 on C16 | 11.29 @ 125 on 93 | ~3275 lbs

SoSoCal verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    man I havent turned on the ac at all, 80 during the day 65 at night, lovely.

Hey my old paint guy in carrollton used a huge one in his garage and it does help some, not huge but some. hook up the garden hose and bang ready togo. Just enough to take the bite out of the heat.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DuTTch View Post
    man I havent turned on the ac at all, 80 during the day 65 at night, lovely.

Hey my old paint guy in carrollton used a huge one in his garage and it does help some, not huge but some. hook up the garden hose and bang ready togo. Just enough to take the bite out of the heat.

Yea, rub it in. You know you miss it.

Definetly a better solution in the desert or where humidity is real low. However, when we get stuck in these 100 degree stretches it's usually accompanied with lower humidity. At any rate an 80 degree breeze has to feel better than 100 degree one that just a fan would make.