Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: intercooler piping on the cheap

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrosity View Post
    It is exactly like their y pipe.....never had to modify so much shit to make it work....wish i bought DNP but this is now working for me.
    Yep, a classic example of you get what you pay for.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I used the cx kit last year to try it out. It wasnt perfect but it all fit without any modification for me, and it was only like 600 bucks.

-Austin@STM

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    In all fairness there's almost nothing in your engine bay besides the engine.

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    I used the cx kit last year to try it out. It wasnt perfect but it all fit without any modification for me, and it was only like 600 bucks.

-Austin@STM

I have heard/seen that their fmic kits fit just fine. However the hardpipe kit does not.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    there is a shop that will do 3 dollar mandrel bends ten minutes from me. i dont think that will be too bad, but i guess that depends on how many i need and how many times i screw it up. lol. and i thought about the o-ring and the difference in pipe sizing over stock. I figured i would have to do some hack n slash on a extra rear stock pipe, but the more i think about that, the more i think it will look like shit.i think the fabrication part of it is really enjoyable tho, wich is why i thought i would pose the question. hmm, and using exhaust grade steel pipe would be no good due to the rusting, flaking, engine, turbos, bank balance exploding mod. so then you have to spend more just on raw materials, and then try to make it functional and pretty. then buying quality couplers to hold it all together....

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What does that mean, how are you going to wire pipes together?

Also steel pipes will rust, ETS used steel piping for a long time, and it rusted on the inside. This caused a lot of issues because they sold it as "stainless" piping, we've had it on a few customer cars here and witnessed the rust first hand. There are threads about it on the Evo and DSM boards. SS or aluminum are the best ways to go.

-Austin@STM

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    It's how it's done on proper race cars.

To join 2 metal pipes together you weld tabs on the sides. Those tabs are used to hold the pipes together either with wire, bolts or some other means.
    The coupler (rubber pipe and hose clips) is there only for a seal, not to stop them from blowing apart.
    Sure SS or aluminium might be better in the long term but mild steel is cheap, easy to weld and doesn't rust with oil on it.

Steve
    At that point you mind as well just weld them up completely. I'd rather have that than a bunch of couplers anyways.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes i agree the less couplers the better, less possible problems to run into. However something is wrong if couplers are just popping off.

We run almost 50 lbs of boost in our shop Evo, and it has a standard coupler and t-bolts on aluminum piping on all joints that arent welded, never had a pipe fall off yet.

Are you using reinforced multi layer couplers like this? Also do you bead roll your pipes?

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    A bit off topic......but Just bought the Dejon Y pipe for blow-through, I chose the t clamp option and paid the extra cash for it thinking it was the better option so has anyone get t clamps from them that did not fit? I had these suckers tightened all they down to the end and I was able to pull the pipe right off...

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    What does that mean, how are you going to wire pipes together?

Also steel pipes will rust, ETS used steel piping for a long time, and it rusted on the inside. This caused a lot of issues because they sold it as "stainless" piping, we've had it on a few customer cars here and witnessed the rust first hand. There are threads about it on the Evo and DSM boards. SS or aluminum are the best ways to go.

-Austin@STM
    On your stealth, are you using aluminum or stainless for your ic piping? I'm thinking about getting some stainless and fabbing up something similar to the DNP hard pipe kit. I figure 16 or 18 gauge ss would be good, but may be a lil heavy.