Thread: Idle issues

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Idle issues

Hey dudes, looks like I'm back on the forum scene again. After last nights oil f up everything seems to be OK. On an unrelated topic I'm having issues with idle.

Yes I've searched and checked the stepper motor, and cleaned it and all seems well there. I attempted to adjust the idle, it's better but not great.

All started 400 k's from home which is great. When hot would not idle, just stalled. Got it home by using the right foot to keep it alive. Then it went the other way, rough as guts when cold and OK hot.

Now it's pretty random, it can only be described as weak. When it used to start it would rev itself and settle to idle, now it does that sometimes, but other times it's like it just jumps straight to 700ish at start which sounds weird. I'm also having more than my fair share >0 of stalling when letting the clutch out. I feel like noob driver.

But yeah it just seems that if there's any load whatsoever it just wants to die. What else can I check?

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you have ECS I would disconnect the ECS computer. I would probably still replace the IAC too.

Australia verified Feedback Score 0 GTOX's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You can test the IAC to see if it's good, me I just replaced the bastard and it solved my idle issues.
    Kangaroo

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I would test the ISC and check that your ECS computer [if you have one] does not have leaking caps. Also check your ECU for leaking caps. Also if you have a logger check your coolant temp sensors. The idle as controlled by the ECU looks at the engine temp to decide what the idle should be doing. If it thinks the car is hot already then it will instantly idle at 700rpm etc.

But check the ECU first.

Stealth 316 - ECM Removal

and if you need a new ISC they can be bought here for AUD$99.00

Mitsubishi Idle Speed / Air Control / Stepper Motor PN. MD614380 - Magna, Pajero, Triton, Verada, 3000GT
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Owner Since

Thanks
    I have no ECS so it's not that. I've bought a stepper motor which should arrive Friday, no harm in having a spare if it's not that. Will pull ecu on the weekend for a check. I've had it out before so that's easy.

Thanks guys.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Ok update, all fixed. New stepper motor it was. Turns out old one was in two pieces. I didn't notice this the first time but a small piece had broken off the top. I only noticed this when it looked so different to the new one and I violated the hole with my finger.

I forgot to put the little rubber gasket in but I'll fix that up, it's working and idling perfectly now. Thanks for the tips.

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by THX View Post
    Ok update, all fixed. New stepper motor it was. Turns out old one was in two pieces. I didn't notice this the first time but a small piece had broken off the top. I only noticed this when it looked so different to the new one and I violated the hole with my finger.

I forgot to put the little rubber gasket in but I'll fix that up, it's working and idling perfectly now. Thanks for the tips.
    LOL that could only come from you.