Thread: How do YOU launch your car?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    | @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks

Red face How do YOU launch your car?

Now, I was going through dpartinvr4's thread http://www.3sgto.org/f2/my-quest-pro...-man-3936.html and reading about you guys bitch about launching...(Also take it easy on a brother, it even says quest in the title so you know its going to be a little while But this is why I havent posted a hype thread about my build .)

I figured I would start a thread about it, as I am curious as to what you guys think and how you all launch your cars.

Now, in my opinion, its all about how you let the clutch out. Its also about getting tension on the drivetrain before you "dump" it or however you do it. You cant just take something with slack and put a ton of pressure on it, obviously its going to break. Now I may be wrong here in saying people do this, but I know Ive seen videos of people racing like this. Maybe they just dont think about it or care. I know when I finally get to the track, I will be building pressure to my drivetrain by either holding the e-brake or having my heel on the brake peddle. How many of you do this? Also who uses two-step? I havent had a chance to experience it, but it seems like a nice feature to have. /discuss

Funny story about breaking shit. Age of 16, still learning to drive (Im still learning to drive at nearly 21 ), I cracked the crank in two spots and spun bearings in my aunts 350 4-speed 1969 Corvette . Now it may not be all my fault as her ex boyfriend beat on the car too..... But I thought I was so bad ass doing burnouts and donuts, but since then, Ive learned you dont just dump the clutch with slack in the drivetrain. Heh, go ahead and make fun .

HellBringer , please enlighten me as to how you achieve wheelspin . Also, do you think 670ft/lbs clutch is overkill for my goal of 600AWHP..?

ps: This car is beating the shit out of me financially. But I love it.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    bring revs up to 3k, ease clutch out, as soon as the clutch starts to bite and take the revs down I nail the throttle and let the rest of the clutch out (briskly, but not dropped)
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
    bring revs up to 3k, ease clutch out, as soon as the clutch starts to bite and take the revs down I nail the throttle and let the rest of the clutch out (briskly, but not dropped)
    I don't launch my car. After spending over 5g's to get my transmission rebuilt I would hate to have to do it again. The real kick in the ass was I bought the car with a messed up tranny. Now, I wish I would have beat on the tranny before it completely went.
    I know this is off topic, but MR2, do you know what type of rims are on the car in your signature? I am in the market for rims, and I want rims just like those except in gun metal.
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ...i could post my technique...but it's the same thing i've posted about numerous times. exact same technique for pretty much everyone with this transmission.

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yanno some youtube would be helpful with this topic. To be able to hear how it is done. Learning to awd launch and breaking sh&t isn't a cheap learning curve. I have researched this topic dozens of time and still don't want to throw money at something to learn to do it right at this point, especially with a DD

Cheers

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    bounce the R's at 5-6k rpms. Slip the clutch slightly on the upswing at 5k rpms and soon as you feel it grab pedal to the floor and drop clutch. Even with a slipping clutch pedaling it through first gear i still cut a 1.81 at NG doing that...lol

A normal 60 for me is mid 1.6's...

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD and a Silver 2015 F250 Lariat Ultimate CCSB 6.7PSD
    Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's. Just say NO to FMIC's

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    ^^That's pretty much how I do it too! I let it go on the way up from 5000 at 5500. I hold where the clutch grabs for a split second and as soon as the gas pegal hits the floor I let the cluch go all the way. It's wierd tho. Sometimes I get lot's of tire spin other times it's just a small chirp or depending on the surface.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I like to bring the revs up just a little over idle and then smoothly engage the clutch...

that's all my old spec would handle :P can't wait to try out the Southbend stage 3 I just tossed in
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

VR-3747 :D Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    as long as you take up the slack in your drivetrain, you can launch pretty much as hard as you like to. taking up the slack is the trick though.

your clutch will probably be underkill if anything. clutches are rated at flywheel horsepower, not wheel horsepower. if you make 600 awhp, you will need a clutch that can hold AT LEAST 750ft-lbs IMO
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    2 step set at 4500 RPM -10 degrees of timing. This builds 5 PSI for me.

Let clutch out and slip until car is moving then complete releasing the pedal. good for 1.75 60ft on 1st try.

with a little more rpm should be good for 1.6x's

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace