Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Gen A/C compressor on a 1g

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) aaronatstate's Avatar
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks

Second Gen A/C compressor on a 1g

Is it possible? MY AC compressor took a crap again, and I'm having a heck of a time tracking down an AC compressor. Was wondering if the 2g's would bolt up. I know I'd need the bracket, but is there anything else besides that required?
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You would have to convert from R12 to R134. Don't know what all is involved in that. As long as the pulleys are the same, there should be no problem mechanically.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I believe the pins for the hoses or on the other side but you can just pull them out. I have a shop here that rebuilds. Had one done yesterday, $158. You might see if you can find a place like that. I think I just learned that most of our compressors are so old they need rebuilding anyway. I've worked on a lot of our AC' systems and this rebuild is so much better. Our cars with a good AC system have no problems freezing you out when it's over 100 outside. I guess I had just gotten used to mine getting weaker and weaker.

Most powerful 13T car in the world @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, SS Headers and O2 housings front, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm in for a response out of curiosity but like Aaron said, when I was checking g around it seemed that rebuilding it was a better idea. Sure, I have yet to do it and convert to 134 but damn its getting hot here and sounds more and mote enticing all the time.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vr3.9 View Post
    I believe the pins for the hoses or on the other side but you can just pull them out. I have a shop here that rebuilds. Had one done yesterday, $158. You might see if you can find a place like that. I think I just learned that most of our compressors are so old they need rebuilding anyway. I've worked on a lot of our AC' systems and this rebuild is so much better. Our cars with a good AC system have no problems freezing you out when it's over 100 outside. I guess I had just gotten used to mine getting weaker and weaker.
    Where is this shop at? I have a rebuilt one in currently (3rd one) and if that is an option, I would much rather do that.

And I converted to R134 a long time ago, the first time my AC went out.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The shop is in Mesquite, Texas. I was in there yesterday and I believe Hym3n bought one off the forum and just had it shipped there for rebuild so if you give them a call they might work with you.

G.A.C Auto Compressor Supply

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vr3.9 For This Useful Post:

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter Feedback Score 0 93STLTH's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There is a difference in how the (I think) high pressure hose connects. There's a pin that prevents an R134 compressor from being connected to an R12 system and vis-a-versa.

2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Well I took mine out for the time being, and put the shorter belt on. I'm going to go ahead and try and get mine rebuilt at the place suggested. I need to get a hold of them first. But I assume they will be willing to help.

STL3S president Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the pressure and suction lines are different between the 1st gen and 2nd gen ac compressor along with the ac bracket as you knew... as for converting from r12 to r134 no biggie just replace compressor (make sure it has the correct amount of oil in it) and hose, 30 minutes minimum of vacuum and refill. I usually add about 1/4 extra pound of freon to assist with the poor cooling of 134 compared to 12

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xwire For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0 vitalivr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Why do you have to replace compressor with switching to r12? I did't, you can buy a kit from advanceautoparts which is allow you to do direct replacement.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast