Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to share with everyone, my Uncle Dave...

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

I want to share with everyone, my Uncle Dave...

As the nephew of the man I want to share with everyone who cares to read, I am basically posting this out of pride. I am very happy to be directly related to this man, and he not only inspires myself, but in all honesty, anyone he comes into contact with.

A little background: My uncle, Dave Clark, was stricken with Polio, and has lived his life with the condition since birth. He was born only 2 years before the Polio vaccine was mainstreamed, and there was, and still is, no way to treat the disease.

He was the first of 3 kids; my father Dan (2.5 years younger), and my other uncle Doug (5 years younger). Unfortunately, I haven't spoke with my father since I was 13 years old, but I still keep in touch with my Uncle Dave.

It was tough for my Uncle, growing up with a disease that paralyzed him from the waist down. He eventually learned how to use crutches, and my grandparents sent him to many clinics in attempts to rehabilitate him physically. My grandparents are the nicest people I have ever known. I only knew my Grandma until I was around 7 years old, when she tragically died of cancer, but I remember her so well. My Grandfather is still alive, and I will admit, I visit him less than I should, because I love the man and I owe everything to my grandparents. They're the same people who put $40K away for me and my sister when we were children to help us pay for our college, and today the money is worth enough to pay for a house and a few cars (and no, it's staying right where it is, invested) I owe so much to them.

Moving on, my Uncle grew up to be a successful professional athlete, playing and partially owning the Indianapolis Clowns baseball organization up until his final hit in the major leagues when the team folded. They were part of the Negro American League. He's played basically every game you could name. Hockey, football, baseball, basketball, etc. He also did many professional broadcasts for various teams throughout the years. At the moment, he's scouting for the Atlanta Braves.

My Uncle came out with a book titled "Diamond In The Rough; The Dave Clark Story", written by Roger Neumann, in which his life, in detail, was laid out in full color for everyone to read.

I came across an excerpt in the book that touched me. I'm not the type of person to be touched... so it brings me to actually share it with everyone, included is a YouTube video that I just happened to find... so perfect. The excerpt reads:

A feeling of horror shot through me when our teacher announced to the class that we were going to take our first field trip, in about a week, to the Corning Northside Fire Department. The firehouse was four or five blocks away, and we would be walking, walking?! Would I be able to do that? Would I be able to keep up with the other kids? Could I go that far without taking a break? Worse, if I did need a break, would the teacher make the other kids stop and wait for me?

I hadn't yet gained the acceptance of the other kids through sports, and I was still noticing some of them staring at me from time to time. Those looks and the fact that I couldn't go places as fast as them disturbed me greatly. The last thing I wanted now was something that would make me stand out any more than I already did. So, day by day over the next week, my anxiety grew as the date of the field trip drew near. I kept waiting for our teacher to tell me she'd made special arrangements for me to get to the fire hall, but she never did.

Finally, the day arrived. And so did my young "savior," as I now think of him. Little Ernie Pound, one of my classmates, had brought his red Radio Flyer wagon to school that day, with the sole intention of giving me a ride to the fire hall. The teacher gave Ernie the okay as we lined up for the trip, and I hopped in the wagon. My classmates accepted the wagon, and even helped make it a fun experience for me, asking to take turns pulling me. And for all my concern, the field trip turned out just fine.

From then on, Ernie Pound would bring his wagon to school anytime we had a walking field trip scheduled. I've sometimes wondered how a boy so young could have been so wise-wiser, even, than my teacher. I haven't seen Ernie in many years, and I have no idea where he is today or what he's doing. And I don't remember if I ever really thanked him for what he did for me, but I guess I probably didn't. So, Ernie, let me take this opportunity to do so.
    Long, I know, but it doesn't really make the video worth anything unless you read the excerpt from the book. It's also really cool to me to be able to read about my Uncle and the town I grew up in, yet back in the 50's and 60's, and how different the culture was. Here's the video I found from youtube that really made the whole story come to life.

I also stumbled across this gem, my Uncle back in '85. His stories in this are also in his book.

Guys, this man is an inspiration. Not because he's my Uncle, I'm only proud to be able to say that, but because the mans legs don't work... never have... and he's defied and conquered every obstacle that's stood in his way. I only did this with the intention of showing people that they can make their dreams come true, and Ernie Pound did something that helped my Uncle develop the absolutely amazing courage he had, and still has today. He's tough as nails, and I welcome anyone to buy this book if they want to read a good story.

Amazon.com: Diamond in the Rough: The Dave Clark Story (9780595477951): Roger Neumann: Books

PS: this post isn't made to be an advertisement. If any mods think it is by me posting that Amazon link, feel free to remove it, I just thought I would post it in case it interested anyone. I make NO money off of my Uncles book sales... and I don't even know what Amazon gives him when they sell a copy.
    Last edited by x2xtreme360; 06-23-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x2xtreme360 For This Useful Post:

Australia verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Very inspirational, thanks for sharing.
    Kangaroo

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    that's great! thanks for sharing!

p.s.

...i admit, the first thing i thought of when i saw "uncle dave" was a gigantic pot binge & a half-dozen naked hookers. double bonus points if you get that reference.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    I'm gonna buy the book.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Chris said ninjas don't fall down.
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Great to read this kind of post amidst all the other 'oh, poor is me' crap that gets posted. You have every right to be proud and much kudos to your uncle for not sitting life out and accepting his 'disabled' label as a life sentence.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Damn. Gonna go look for the book.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice, Thanks for sharing Dude!

IPD, Daves not here man.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoopKill For This Useful Post:

IPD

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    VERY cool. Thanks for posting up. Amazing to hear of people who have more reasons to be down and out than the average joe and when they pull through and try their hardest it makes the rest of us want to kick ourselves in the ass for ever thinking about whining. Thanks again and WOW to your uncle....very awesome.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

DR-750 club Not Verified
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    Great post, very inspiration. Nice to read somthing on here every now and then that has some emotion behind it.
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

JNS Engineering verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What a great story! Just watching the book signing gets you right in the heart.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)