Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How in the sh!t could this happen to my driveline?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

How in the sh!t could this happen to my driveline?

I have 20k miles on the "new" transmission and transfer case. I have ALWAYS kept up on fluid levels due to persistent leaks until recently when it became so bad that I parked the car. I have been doing several different things on the car over the past couple days and took the transfer case off today. WHERE THE HELL DID ALL THE TEETH GO?!

These are some shots from the output shaft of the transmission that I already have a replacement for, as well as pictures of the transfer case input teeth.

Transmission:

Transfer case:

Oh wait, what's all that crud in the bottom of the tcase?

MY SPLINES! How the ef did this happen? The transmission (initially) only leaked from what appeared to be the output shaft seal from the transmission. Reason I say that it was the trans is because the fluid trickled down the area where the tcase and trans meet up but the tcase was never low on fluid. Now, again, I always made sure there was fluid in the transmission yet the shafts look dry as hell, not to mention the powder that the splines were all eroded away in...the powder is the same color as the Redline gear oil I put in there.

Now I'm boned out of more money than I was prepared for...I thought 20k would be find on the magnificent Kormex trans but apparently not. Does anybody have any input? Better yet, does anybody have a good 25 spline tcase they are willing to wave goodbye to?
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the splines are supposed to be dry. No fluid runs in there, the red is just rusty metal shavings from the shaft wearing out. It is a fairly common problem with OEM, and OEM replacement shafts. The way the car is driven has a lot to do with it to. Do you beat on the car much?

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin@STM For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Good to hear it is supposed to be dry. I have never had the chance to enjoy my car to the fullest because the clutch would slip whenever I would even try to launch it...that's what I get for reusing a clutch I suppose. To be completely honest I baby the hell out of my car because I was always afraid of something like this happening. Is there anything I need to do before putting a new tcase in there w/the new trans to prevent this from happening again? I would totally understand this happening were it after a significant amount of miles but why so soon? AAAAUGH I NEED MORE BEER TO HELP ME THROUGH THIS!

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You need to grease the splines when installing the transfercase.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris@Rvengeperformance For This Useful Post:

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    ^^^ What they've said. The stock output shaft eventually rusts and grinds down the spool as well. I've seen worse splines than yours actually. Your transmission leaks are a separate issue.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Amazingly, my transmission leak saved my splines. I've seen way worse splines, but I'd still replace those pieces.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since

Thanks
    In such a quick amount of time? Yaaaargh, the upgraded output shaft sounds extremely nice these days. My service manual doesn't say what type of grease to use for that connection. What type do I throw in there and just how liberally?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Keyan's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I plan on stuffing as much wheel bearing grease into my splines as I can, when I install my new tcase in a few months

[Droid X via Tapatalk]
    Recertified ASE L1/L3 Master Technician
    13G's on Pump 93 tuned to 421awhp/419awtq @ 17psi tuned by Pampena Motorsports ....375awtq at 2900rpm....
    Billet 19T HL's on E85 tuned to .....?

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    In such a quick amount of time? Yaaaargh, the upgraded output shaft sounds extremely nice these days. My service manual doesn't say what type of grease to use for that connection. What type do I throw in there and just how liberally?
    Some people will advocate a thick assembly lube type of grease, but I don't think that's the best thing. I use motorcycle chain lube. It's designed to be waterproof, not fling off at high chain speeds, and you spray it on. From my experience, it really extends the life of the output shaft.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to UTRacerX9 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Hell, I might even have some around and not need to go out and buy some. Like Keyan, I WANT to get a buttload of that stuff in there considering what happened but how much is the correct amount?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast