Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ECU Leaking cap, Can you tell me what it leaked on?

  1. #1
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,254
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 459 Times in 354 Posts

    ECU Leaking cap, Can you tell me what it leaked on?

    Here is my ECU with the leaking cap. It's hard to see it so I found a pic on the net and circled the spot in red. See pic below this one.




    You might be able to see this better. The red shows how far it leaked out.




    What is that rectangle thing the cap leaked on? a transistor? It's labeled C6

    I'm wondering if the cap leaking on it and screwing it up is the problem instead of the leaking cap itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  2. #2
    Forum User Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1998

    Location
    Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    That's a surface mount capacitor. It could only screw it up if it ate part of the trace on the board.

  3. #3
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,254
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 459 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans@GZP View Post
    That's a surface mount capacitor. It could only screw it up if it ate part of the trace on the board.
    OK, I'm going to try and replace the cap that's leaking. Hopefully this will fix my issues, if not I think I have somebody that's loaning me an ECU. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just give up. lol

  4. #4
    Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Amphiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    513
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Just make sure you clean the area it's leaked on with some acetone to neutralize the acid that has leaked out.

  5. #5
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,254
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 459 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphiron View Post
    Just make sure you clean the area it's leaked on with some acetone to neutralize the acid that has leaked out.


    I got a can of this stuff to try and clean it up. If I can make this work till after NG then I'm going to send it off and have it repaired by a pro.

  6. #6
    Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    739
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 141 Times in 89 Posts
    If you fix it and it works, then you are the pro, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post


    I got a can of this stuff to try and clean it up. If I can make this work till after NG then I'm going to send it off and have it repaired by a pro.

  7. #7
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,254
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 459 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaadVR4 View Post
    If you fix it and it works, then you are the pro, right?
    Well I guess not, I cant get the cap out. I guess I overestimated my soldering skills Frustrating to say the least. I got enough solder off to guarantee the ECU won't work though.

  8. #8
    JNS Engineering verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jimvr4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Well I guess not, I cant get the cap out. I guess I overestimated my soldering skills Frustrating to say the least. I got enough solder off to guarantee the ECU won't work though.
    Here's what you do:

    1) add a little solder to the capacitor leads.
    2) while heating one of the leads, push the cap gently to the side to make the lead retract through the board. Go slow and make sure you're melting the solder while you're pushing the cap
    3) switch to the other lead. Rock the cap back in the other direction.
    4) You should be able to ease the cap out by alternately heating each lead
    5) Use solder wick to wick out the solder from the holes. Not too much heat or you could lift the traces from the board
    6) Clean up the area with alcohol and a Q tip
    7) Replace with a new cap. Be sure to check the +/- polarity markings

  9. #9
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,254
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 459 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    Here's what you do:

    1) add a little solder to the capacitor leads.
    2) while heating one of the leads, push the cap gently to the side to make the lead retract through the board. Go slow and make sure you're melting the solder while you're pushing the cap
    3) switch to the other lead. Rock the cap back in the other direction.
    4) You should be able to ease the cap out by alternately heating each lead
    5) Use solder wick to wick out the solder from the holes. Not too much heat or you could lift the traces from the board
    6) Clean up the area with alcohol and a Q tip
    7) Replace with a new cap. Be sure to check the +/- polarity markings
    Thanks, I've been trying that but I guess I need more solder. I'll give another shot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering