Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer problem

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks

Speedometer problem

I installed some lighted gauge faces the other day and I went to drive the car today and my speedometer is wayyy off now. It doesn't move at all until about 25-30 mph and seems about 20 mph off on the slow side at highway speeds. The odometer and trip odometer still seem to be working right. I checked the needle and it isn't catching on the new gauge face, so that's not causing it. The tach is fine though. Any ideas?

2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You need to pull the needle off then go for a drive with a GPS. Drive in a nice straight line and try to sit as close to 60 as possible and push the needle back on. I had some new dials made up and had to do the same thing. You will find your tach is prob off now as well. I had to guess at first then when I could connect the laptop and check the exact revs I corrected it. The needle does not stay in the correct place when removed. The needle stop pin is there to stop it roating too far back.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Owner Since

Thanks
    Really? Damn, that seems tricky to do while driving. The needle doesn't seem to want to come off very easily, but the gas gauge needle did come off with just a pull. I had to reset it after filling the tank to be sure it was reading right.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It is a little tricky. That's why it's best to do it on an empty straight road [maybe even get a mate to hold the wheel straight while you put the needle on]. Do you new faces have a stop needle? cus that could cause a problem if it doesn't stop properly each time.

Owner Since

Thanks
    They go over the original gauge faces, so the stop needles are still there. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I can fix it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Or take it to a local dyno. They can record you speed and revs in a safe environment so they can be reset.

Australia verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I put my speedo needle on pointing to 0 mph while idling, then went for a drive and checked it's accuracy against my GPS. Took about 3 attempts to get it spot on. Worked for me and much safer.

For tacho, just slap it on around 750/800RPM during warm idle.
    Kangaroo

Australia verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It's funny you mention the gas gauge needle. I have taken my cluster off MANY times and never had a problem with the fuel gauge. I've even filled up my car with fuel and moved the needle to the full position everytime i've needed to calibrate it, always worked fine. Now, since the last time I removed and reinstalled the cluster, the fuel gauge sits WAY past full, it doesn't even move down with fuel consumption and if I move the needle it goes right back up. Even swapped in a spare gauge into the cluster for the same result. Any ideas?

/hijack

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOX View Post
    I put my speedo needle on pointing to 0 mph while idling, then went for a drive and checked it's accuracy against my GPS. Took about 3 attempts to get it spot on. Worked for me and much safer.

For tacho, just slap it on around 750/800RPM during warm idle.
    Mine is within 20rpm of what the laptop says As far as it being safe it's fine unless your a complete moron and try it on a busy road

Quote Originally Posted by GTOX View Post
    It's funny you mention the gas gauge needle. I have taken my cluster off MANY times and never had a problem with the fuel gauge. I've even filled up my car with fuel and moved the needle to the full position everytime i've needed to calibrate it, always worked fine. Now, since the last time I removed and reinstalled the cluster, the fuel gauge sits WAY past full, it doesn't even move down with fuel consumption and if I move the needle it goes right back up. Even swapped in a spare gauge into the cluster for the same result. Any ideas?

/hijack
    Does the needle eventually start moving? Have you tried pulling the needle off and resetting it? if it still does it then I would suspect the sender unit in the tank is faulty.

Owner Since
    02/1998

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had to do all the reset after putting in my gauge faces. Getting the speedo right was a pain.

RPM was easy as I could do that while standing still and read from the AFC. Gas I did different that many have. Rather than setting based on a full tank, I set based on when the low fuel light came on.

For speed I paced lori in her car. She set cruise I just maintained position. My cruise does not work so that was the best way I could do it.