Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roller Coaster fans, post up!

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Roller Coaster fans, post up!

ok, so i've JUST notched my 73rd roller coaster this weekend. granted, i'm nowhere near the 500-600+ roller coaster mark that some of the hardcore enthusiasts have, but i'm closing in on my initial goal of 100.

so let's hear it! how many have you ridden, and what are your favorites? which ones were the best rides? which ones scared you do death or beat the ever-living-crap out of you?

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I don't know how many I've ridden over the years, but I've pretty much been on all the coasters at Magic Mountain, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Disneyland, Knottsberry Farm, and Busch Gardens, plus some of the coasters in Las Vegas and Myrtle Beach. The best one's, I'd have to say, are the Millennium Force at Cedar Point and X2 at Magic Mountain. I still love the old wooden coasters too, we have a small, but very violent coaster here in San Diego, the Giant Dipper, that was built in 1925.

2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yep, pretty much all the parks in CA that i want to visit. MF is still one of my favs. i rode intimidator 305 and while it was a great ride, it just wasn't quite as impressive as MF, imho. x2's 4d-coaster design is pretty much the only active coaster design i've yet to ride on. my parks so far:

Cedar Point
    Kings Island
    Kings Dominion
    Kentucky Kingdom
    Holiday World
    Six Flags Ft. Worth
    Busch Gardens Tampa
    Six Flags Georgia
    Sea World Orlando
    Magic Kingdom
    Animal Kingdom
    Hollywood Studios

(also visited epcot, but it doesn't have any coasters). i'd say that my favorite park is probably a toss-up between busch gardens tampa and cedar point. it's actually quite impressive that busch gardens tampa has less than half as many coasters, and each one is rather impressive.
    Last edited by IPD; 06-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Cedar point probably has the best rides hand downs.

How have you managed not to go to Six Flags over Georgia. Their SuperMan roller coaster is the shit, probably the best roller coaster I have ridden. Their acrophobia ride damn near gave me a panic attack, refuse to go on that ever again.

I never viewed Busch Garden as an "amusement park", I always thought it was more like a zoo with rides. Busch Garden gets boring after you been there a couple of times. Universal Studios Islands of Adventure has an interesting ride called the Hulk...

But I haven't been to any parks in a long time. And all the old wooden and metal roller coasters beat you to death.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Love roller coasters, but haven't been to many parks, or any in several years.

Rode my first ever roller coaster at Kings Island when I was 12. I believe it was the Vortex. I also rode the King Cobra, the Beast (at one time the world's fastest wooden coaster iirc)

Only other parks I've been too is Kennywood and Idlewild. I think the last time I went to an amusement park I was in 8th grade.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    Cedar point probably has the best rides hand downs.
    yes, if you can visit only 1 park, CP is the place. iron dragon is still one of my all-time favorite coasters.

How have you managed not to go to Six Flags over Georgia. Their SuperMan roller coaster is the shit, probably the best roller coaster I have ridden. Their acrophobia ride damn near gave me a panic attack, refuse to go on that ever again.
    didn't go on acrophobia. did the power-tower & demon drop at CP. not really my thing. i have been to six flags georgia--i've started losing count of the parks. good thing i've got a list of all the coasters. superman ultimate flight is great--but it's half-assed attempt when you compare it to manta at sea-world orlando. manta is THE ABSOLUTE BEST THEMED roller-coaster i've ever been on. bar none. no others are even close. not to mention that the ride is better than superman's. funny. sea world orlando (like busch gardens tampa) has few coasters (only 2), yet both kraken and manta are top-shelf coasters.

I never viewed Busch Garden as an "amusement park", I always thought it was more like a zoo with rides. Busch Garden gets boring after you been there a couple of times. Universal Studios Islands of Adventure has an interesting ride called the Hulk...
    no way. kumba, montu and sheikra are probably all top 10 coasters on my list. granted...any park will get boring after repeated visits--but those coasters are timeless. universal (and wild aventures) are both on my "to do" list--for when i get back to GA.

But I haven't been to any parks in a long time. And all the old wooden and metal roller coasters beat you to death.
    surprisingly, you'd be wrong. beast is a crapshoot; sometimes it's fairly smooth. other times, it will pulverize you. mind-bender at SF-GA is pretty darn old, and it's still a great ride. all suspended coasters offer a great ride, regardless of age (kicking myself for not getting to ride "big bad wolf"). conversely, t2 at kentucky kingdom kicked the shit out of me. yes, older:rougher is the general trend...but not always.

p.s.

i won't make it to kennywood this year. SF-MD and busch gardens VA are on my to-do list for this summer.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Haven't been to very many parks but hands down the best coaster I've been on is X2 at 6flags Magic Mountain. I rode it when it was new and got a season pass w/a buddy afterwards to hit it again and again. That's the one coaster that scares every chick I've gone there with. Bruised arms well worth it :P
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i just read that kentucky kingdom is CLOSED. looks like they're trying to sell it & reopen.
    Last edited by IPD; 06-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Owner Since
    02/1998

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Millennium force is my favorite with Raptor a close second.

I've only been to Disney and Cedar Point. I want to hit some of the other but my schedule has just never allowed for it.

Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    One of the roughest coasters I've ever experienced was "Riddler's Revenge" at Magic Mountain.(Not sure if it's still there) It tossed me around and strained my neck to the point of not being fun anymore. It was a stand up coaster.