Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roller Coaster fans, post up!

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2010

Thanks
    Love riding coasters, Ive been to cedar point twice, rode all of the coasters, Top Thrill Dragster was intense, Millenium Force was good too...one of my favs.

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee has some decent coasters too...I would love to go to some of the other theme parks..no time..

I AM IMPORT POWER
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Love the Coaster!

-Chris

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    ouch! sounds like coasters are a mixed bag for some people. fwiw, fashion is NOT something you should worry about at an amusement park. if you wear dangly earrings, tube-tops or high-heels----you're an idiot, imho (yes, i've seen it all).

i never got to ride BBW :le cry:, unfortunately. from what i can gather, it's quite similar to iron dragon (CP) though--which is easily in my top 10.

i'm with you on mean streak. i had a decent ride on it one time. the other two it was rough. grizzly (KD) rough. although the only time i've had my internal organs jolted so bad i was doubled over in pain was on the beast (KI). go figure. beast is a crapshoot of ride gentileness.

doc,

big != awesome. dominator (KD) is a teriffic ride, even though it's not earth-shattering by any stretch. the one thing that intimidator does really well is put you at high speed close to the ground, giving you a very high sense of speed. it's not as smooth or as well transitioned at MF though, imho.
    I know big doesn't make it better, but it's good fun. Dominator was great. Anaconda is still boring, lol. It's like Steel Force, but Anaconda has inversions.

Good, so it isn't just me that thinks Grizzly is insanely rough. Last time I was there I rode it twice and had to stop riding, it was beating me up too badly. Twister at Knoebels was like that last time I was there, but they were replacing some track sections at the end of that year IIRC.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    grizzly is aptly named. it has the potential to maul you to death.

but just so we're clear, not all wooden coasters are like that. if you want to experience what a great wooden coaster is like, you need to go to holiday world. it's a small park (it's actually more of a water-park with some theme-park rides thrown in for good measure) and has only three coasters. even so, all three are easily top 5 wooden coasters IN THE WORLD. seriously. and the park is the cleanest park i've ever been to. holiday world gets rave reviews all the time.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Knoebels has some absolutely fantastic wooden coasters as well, and that's a lot closer :P

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Golden Ticket Awards - Top 25 Steel/Wooden Roller Coasters

interesting. legend has been knocked down to 15th. holiday world still has #1 and #9 too. sad that i've only ridden 4 of the top 25 wooden ones.

now the metal ones...wow. i've ridden:

1, 5, 8, 11, 12, 14, 19 (sheikra) and both #24's. and after i cross busch gardens VA off my list, i'll have another 3.

holiday world still has cleanest/friendliest park. big surprise. it's not every park that offers free soft-drinks & sunscreen. what does surprise me is that manta isn't on the list. it should be. it's amazingly full of win. hell, the cue line is built around a MASSIVE aquarium filled with HUNDREDS of rays.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can't say I've been on very many, but no.11 on the wooden coasters was awesome back in 98'.

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    I've only rode one of the top 25 wooden. In 2.5 weeks I'll make that 2, with knocking off #5 Thunderhead at Dollywood.

It's wierd how some of the wooden coasters can be a crapshoot. I've had nothing but super smooth rides on Beast.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Echo419 View Post
    Douches

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    el toro, for instance, is a pre-fabricated wooden coaster; so it supposedly rides a bit smoother than some of the older, traditional designs. i've yet to try any of those though.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just went to Six Flags yesterday. Kingda Ka had about a 5 minute wait to get on the front row, haha. El Toro is VERRRRYYYY smooth for a wooden coaster, and it was definitely the best wooden coaster I've been on. Green Lantern is a brutal ride, my legs hurt badly enough that by halfway through I wanted off, and I've ridden other stand up coasters, so it wasn't only because I was standing. I think it's just a bit on the ragged edge of the limit for a stand up coaster.