Thread: Question for Active Duty Military

Dad verified Feedback Score 0 NickS VR4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks

Question for Active Duty Military

Deleted... I don't want to represent military wrongly.

For those who are active duty military, let me know, and I will send you my long post that I had (but deleted), if you would like.
    Last edited by NickS VR4; 06-07-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 0 eljefefx's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I wouldn't wait for your Chain to resolve it internally, as they probably already know it is happening and while they don't outright condone it, it appears that they approve of it enough to not rock the boat. Take it to the IG, and see what they say. If you go to your chain and they shoot you down, then all of the sudden the IG comes a-knockin' they're going to know that it was likely you who did it.

Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    Now one problem I have is that this was told to me directly by this person, as through my supervisor. There is no written policy that I am aware of, and it always feels like all the BS fed down the chain by this SNCO is believed without doing the research. Do I have any ground to stand on with verbal policies, or do I need this policy written to have prove they are wrong to the IG?

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i'd speak to the commander about it, if there's no one else up the chain you can bark at (flight commander, shirt, etc).

from my perspective, there's no reason to limit leave unless min-manning requirements are not met. in my unit we do this by positoin; not by some arbitrary calendar segment. in my case, this means that 25% of whatever personnel (in any given position) must be available. period. this is squadron-wide. shop manning is accounted for differently; but it is usually not a limiting factor if there are extenuating circumstances (use or lose, etc).

i myself am going to lose 7-10 days worth of leave this year because i've been unable to take sufficient leave (deployment + long term TDY). i will file to be reimbursed this amount of leave after the new fiscal year arrives. keep in mind that this may be an option for you--if your supervision has hamstrung your ability to whittle down your leave accrual.

again, take it up the chain of command. be respectful, be polite and be direct and assertive. what would they do if someone in your section had to go on maternity leave? would they limit this to 30 days period? doubtful. there must be other factors which somehow give them the impression that 30 days is the maximum you should be allowed to take. it's a wrong impression, imho. while i do think that in most cases, 14 days consecutive is sufficient--there are other factors. i took three weeks before i came here and still couldn't burn enough; simply because of work stipulations.

if you're willing to take it, have the leave to use, and are going to the proper channels to file for it--it shouldn't be an issue. either they grant it now; or you file to keep it later, due to demands beyond your own control.

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 0 eljefefx's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Policy is policy. If they are enforcing an unwritten policy that was decided on at the SNCO level it is still a policy nonetheless.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    p.s.

any policy, formal or informal, should allow for use of leave at a rate greater than it is earned. it's a given that in this career, there will be times when you cannot use leave due to demands placed upon you. therefore, there should be built-in provisions allowing you to take leave at a faster rate than it is earned; either in preparation for these periods of "lockdown" or after them as a way of "balancing out" the difference.

you should NOT be forced to take leave overlapping with R&R unless you're leaving the local area.

Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    Thanks guys, emailed my supervisor which I spoke to yesterday about this. I will see what his response is today. I work nights and he and the rest of the world work days, so no instant answers.