Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 GM vehicles.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

2011 GM vehicles.

So I work at this chevy dealership in belle vernon PA. At the end of last year we found out that all the 2011 GM vehicles need to have a special kind of oil, called DEXos. Its a 5w-30 syn-blend. And apparently, the salesmen don't tell ANYONE. I guess its kind of the achilles heel for their sale.

I've heard that if you don't use this oil every single time you get your oil changed it will void your warranty and "damage the engine internals". The first part makes sense but i don't really understand how damage can result.

So share your thoughts on this subject. We've had alot of people come in for an oil change that were never told about this 49 dollar service, and I think its ridiculous. Anyone here have brand new GM that didn't know?

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified Feedback Score 0 Alex3000gt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMaiCar View Post
    So I work at this chevy dealership in belle vernon PA. At the end of last year we found out that all the 2011 GM vehicles need to have a special kind of oil, called DEXos. Its a 5w-30 syn-blend. And apparently, the salesmen don't tell ANYONE. I guess its kind of the achilles heel for their sale.

I've heard that if you don't use this oil every single time you get your oil changed it will void your warranty and "damage the engine internals". The first part makes sense but i don't really understand how damage can result.

So share your thoughts on this subject. We've had alot of people come in for an oil change that were never told about this 49 dollar service, and I think its ridiculous. Anyone here have brand new GM that didn't know?
    Why would anyone buy a car from a company that was so horribly mismanaged and rotten from the inside out that it failed. Why would you buy any car that still uses rear drum brakes and uses steel wheels?

'92 3000GT Base ATX converted to MTX - Parted Out
    '91 Stealth ES MTX - Fastest NA FWD at NG11 Drags - SOLD
    '91 Stealth RT/TT Check out my blog
    '10 Jetta TDI MTX - 6 speed: 50MPG Highway
    Rest In Peace, My Brother SGT. R. Evans Taylor: Apr 23 '83 - Oct 14 '11

Owner Since

Thanks
    HA! Very well said. The whole scenario just gets under my skin. How they try to screw people all the time.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMaiCar View Post

Does the 2010 SS Camaro fall under this by chance? If so, I may need to have a sit down with the roommate.

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified Feedback Score 0 Alex3000gt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    I've heard rumors of this oil change fiasco, but never any hard evidence. Got a link?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Hmm. I've never looked anything up on it, but i'm pretty bored now so I'll look around. And as far as the Camaro goes, the oil applies to every single car GM makes, with the exception of diesels and some of the cadillacs that specifically use Mobil 1.

EDIT: http://autos.aol.com/article/gm-engine-oil/
    Apparantly the diesels do take this oil, its just called dexOS 2. And about the Camaro, I didn't notice you said 2010. Its only the '11s that are screwed so your roommate is in good shape lol.
    Last edited by NotMaiCar; 05-29-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How did they expect to keep this hush hush in this day and age.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well generally speaking, most people are way too busy to do research on the internet. Or I suppose you could call it laziness.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Mikes2nd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I dont see a huge problem, you get triple the miles and 30% increase in price and a tiny bit of mileage...

Its industry standard, its iffy but not like Intel trying ot force Rambus on us evil...

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Telionis's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What could they possibly have changed that was so significant that the engine REQUIRES special oil? The '11 LS3 is that different from the '10 LS3?

I support the "Gay Jihad" against Rick Santorum!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast