Thread: SPA dual digital gauges.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

SPA dual digital gauges.

Anybody own these? I would like to replace the center gauges with 3 of these but that depends on the refresh rate of the boost/fuel pressure gauge. I'm trying to avoid the gauges everywhere look but depending on this, I might have to. Its between 3 of these or 5 aem analog ones (which comes out cheaper).

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have two of these. An oil pressure/oil temp and a fuel pressure/water temp. On my triple pillar pod in the top two spots it's hard to read them when you aren't directly looking at them. The viewing angle isn't awesome, but they're probably old LCD tech. It's not really a problem though. You can program them for whenever you want the warning light to start flashing. It's very useful when you can't look at everything at once while driving. Having two gauges in one is very nice. I don't remember the refresh rate on them though. It was pretty quick to change the numbers last I remember.
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Hrmmm, the boost / fuel with dual alarm is pretty slick!

Turbo Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauge DG 216

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea they're awesome gauges, but with how fast boost can rise I'm not sure if their practical. But i guess you set the led alarm 1psi above set boost then there isn't much of a reason to stare at it unless it flashes. I'm hoping the numbers rise as fast as my wideband.

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the refresh rate is kind of slow, actually, so I wouldn't recommend it for boost. I am running watertemp/oiltemp and fuelpress/oilpress, and i agree with the viewing angle, it is pretty narrow. However, it saves a lot of space because you'd need to run 4 gauges otherwise.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100536529926540

go to 24 seconds and watch the bottom gauge to get an idea of the refresh rate. it's approximately 2 Hz, and it has a cadence of "refresh-refresh-refresh-hold"

also, the warning lights presets are pretty useful, I haven't had to change them. I think the temp lights are preset to 100C and the oil pressure is set to 15 psi. I forget the fuel pressure preset.
    Last edited by i3igpete; 05-26-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i3igpete For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    In your engineering opinion what's a good, better, best for refresh rate? I know gizmo has one with a refresh rate of 40Hz. Is that one pretty good? What gauges do you like Pete?

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    its kind of tricky, stuff like temps and oil pressure, you don't really need fast... too fast and the numbers get twitchy and it's hard to read with peripheral vision. stuff like tachs and boost gauges you don't have any choice but to go for gauge with a needle, because it's hard to judge increases/decreases with digits, like seeing how precisely your EBC is levelling off boost.

I remember taking an aviation human factors class in college, and I think that's why they still use analog gauges for modern altimeters, even though everything is computer controlled. You can easily watch a needle speed up or slow down with peripheral vision, but digits you have to focus on.
    Last edited by i3igpete; 05-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for the info and vid. And I agree a needle is much easier to see in your peripheral visual than digits. My wideband/sm3 is all digital but it's mounted to the top of the speedo bezel so it doesn't take much staring to see the reading. Do you know of any accurate yet affordable gauges? I'm also looking at AEMs analog and digital gauges plus SPA makes some analog gauges too so I'll look into those. I just picked up a black dash so I now is the time for these.

Advanced Tech? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    thats actually my exact setup, SPA for pressure/temp monitoring, Defi for boost, and AEM for wideband and misc.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I found some nice analog autometer gauges that have a recall and warning. The sport comp 2 pro control. I'll most likely get those since they'll all match. Thanks for all the info though.