Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this lifter tick?

Why? Because Race Car. verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well at least I found somebody in the same boat as me!! Where did you get your 99 lifters?
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

They were installed previously when I got the car, but the receipt is from a dealership if I remember correctly.

Owner Since

Thanks
    hmmm....well mine were from some vendor on Ebay, Idk if that's the issue or what, but at least I know I'm not the first case.

I'll double check the receipt when I'm back at my mom's house because I'm not 100% sure, and the previous owner did buy some ebay parts, so it's possible.

Also, ticking doesn't go away when clutch is depressed. Sounds like lifter tick. Thanks for the help everyone!

Forum User
    Owner Since

Cleveland, Or Louisville depending on time of year
    Thanks
    yea man thats lifter tick.....it sucks, putting lucas oil additive got mine to go away for about 2 months. dont know if its worth the price though

99 Lifters aren't a magical fix for the lifter tick issue. They can get clogged and gunky just like the standard lifters and, as you see, tick all the same. More than likely if you just take them out and clean them well you'll get rid of your lifter tick again. I think you clean them in diesel (I believe that's what you're supposed to prime them in anyway)

The only way to avoid lifter tick is to make sure you keep your oil changed so it doesn't get too dirty throughout the course of your oil change interval.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah but considering my rebuild has less than 900 miles on it, I doubt mine are dirty. If that's the case, I have other issues of concern. Maybe I'll tear down my heads this winter for something to do. (again)

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Get you some CD2 Oil Detergent. It has worked for me every time I hear lifter tick. 30+ vehicles.

Pearl White BPU $$$ Pit
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My vote goes for lifter tick. I've heard all of the different ticks and clacks on my car first hand too.

Yes that's lifter tick, you can use Bob's method of swapping a quart of Rislone for oil every oil change, has almost eliminated my lifter tick and I have 94 lifters.