Thread: DSM 10s are getting pretty boring.

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2)
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks

DSM 10s are getting pretty boring.

But I am glad the car is holding together and running strong still. And it is still super fast and fun on the street with the instant spool. I want to keep this car as is but I need to start building my other one. I want to go 9s by the end of the year.

I went to norwalk because Milan will not let me back without a cage. But norwalk does not care, they dont even have tech really.

So it was a little hotter, like mid 70s, unlike the 40s I was running in. SO the IATs at the end of the track were like 120F and the car was running a little slower.

I ran 10.881, 10.882, and then 10.75 (it cooled off like 15F by the night).

COmpression is still perfect and no signs of any problems.

I am going to run in the Import nationals hosted by buschur next week, I might do bracket racing because I wont win any others. And next week I am going to dial in my boost off the line so I can stage and stay still and leave on green actually. I was going to do it this week but I didnt have time.

SO here are some vids for entertainment but no new personal bests this week . Lastly, there is a cool pic of launch that the guy took and I am waiting on his upload. It looks insane.

The 10.75 slip went like this..

1.515 60ft
    4.367 330ft
    6.799 1/8
    8.931 1000ft
    10.754 1/4

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

I AM IMPORT POWER
    Owner Since

Thanks
    10.75...Very nice.

-Chris

Forum User supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just a question from someone with little experience here, but would it help the launch to stiffen the rear suspension to keep all the weight from shifting? On RWD limiting shocks 80/20 90/10 with a known decay(lack of proper term) allows the weight to shift to the rear and then slowly allows the weight to transfer back forward. Going on the cheap guys used to drill the shock and drain the fluid to allow the front to come up and transfer the weight, only problem is the sudden shift back. On an FWD car I would think you would want solid rear to keep the weight over the front tires and on an AWD car something that would allow some shift rearward to help keep the rear tires from breaking and not hunch so badly? I may be way off here and probably am, but just wanted to see if this is something that helps on the launch.

Thanks!
    Rocket

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Old-school RWD scoop is transfer all the weight you can, then manage that with suspension and tires.

Before I bought 90/10 valving, I used junkyard shocks up front fairly often.

Never dragged AWD, but some weight transfer is gonna happen regardless, so managing that would be similar, but not the whole-hog proposition it is with RWD
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Quick question, how much money do you think it would take to get a DSM into the 9's? Assuming the driver of the car is a knowledgeable mechanic and a good driver. I have always been interested in getting one of these to mess around with.

Thanks, John

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    hahaha im sitting aroun 16k and im hoping to be in the nines, that was buying a ready for junkyard firstgen with a good sixbolt in it

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    and im not even done with the build yet

Owner Since

Thanks
    Um to get where I am at, mid 10s, it will take maybe 6-7k (with car price included) depending on price of the car and route you take. This is because my tranny is stock and so is the engine. But 9s might need alot bigger turbo and more power, especially if you want to be stock weight. So then you need a build engine, big turbo setup, and a really good clutch/high stall converter. That starts getting expensive. 10s is cheap, 9s might be quite a bit more.

Here is one launch pic from the weekend. It was a 10.88 run with 1.5 60 ft. The rear slicks are a 6.75 lbs and look fully inflated when at a stand still. The fronts are at 11.5psi and look almost flat. Its funny that once weight transfers the rear slicks look so wrinkled and flat and the front then look inflated.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Do you notice your front tires spinning? I can't imagine they're transferring a big percentage of the torque with that little weight over them.

With that said, I'm surprised your stock center diff, t-case, rear end, axles, etc can all take that. I wonder how much heat you're putting into the VCU. What do you expect to break first and how much does your car weigh?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamVR4 View Post
    Do you notice your front tires spinning? I can't imagine they're transferring a big percentage of the torque with that little weight over them.

With that said, I'm surprised your stock center diff, t-case, rear end, axles, etc can all take that. I wonder how much heat you're putting into the VCU. What do you expect to break first and how much does your car weigh?
    Well man I cannot feel anything spinning at all with these slicks at such a low psi. I know it seems like they would in front but it is not noticeable if they are. There probably is still decent weight on them since all the weight is up front and it cannot transfer all the weight I would think. I mean there is still a little tire surface area on the ground in the front. And really after the initial launch it does seem to go back forward pretty quick in the video. I am not a master in the physics but it doesnt seem to lose any traction and feels rediculously crazy on the launch. It just takes off. I am not used to 1.49 and 1.51 60 fts being from the FWDTT camp so it feels great to me. Could it improve with suspension, probably.

The car is 2600 with me in it. And with that low weight and not that much power, low to mid 400 whp is a guess, I dont think it is being too stressed to move the car. Plus the slicks absorb alot of stress as the rear tires show. I dont really expect to break anything in the driveline really. I am preloading everthing by power braking, and with the soft slicks, low weight and low power, I have faith in the parts. I dont even know how the auto awd tranny really works. Does it have a vcu exactly like the manuals? I am not the best to ask on suspension or transaxle parts. I know then engine and tuning the best. lol.

I mean I expect the engine to go sometime I guess or maybe the turbo. I am running the turbo to its max. Its holding 33psi to 7k+ and it is through a 7cm2 housing and the compressor is spinning pretty fast no doubt. It is 51/62 mm I believe. RIght between the evo3 and the 20g, well 18g and 20g really. The engine on e85 shows no knock. I am at 26 degrees of timing advance up top. But the engine has handled at least 30 runs from 11.3 to 10.6 at the track this year. 10+ on the street and a ton of tuning on the highway. Plus it handled 12.1 passes last year about 10 at the track and 30+ on the street. SO the engine is stout but I do think it is a matter of time until it wears out. But compression is golden right now still after this last track visit, and no coolant problems ect.

I do have the 4 bolt rear though too, I think it helps a little.
    Last edited by 11secondFWD; 05-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.