Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripp Supercharger worth it?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Ripp Supercharger worth it?

I know people had problems with this back in the day but for this price I'm seriously considering it. I mean its a 100whp gain with the potential for more.

https://www.majesticmodifications.co...1997-1998.html

What do you guys think?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thomas Knight made the first kit for our cars and has had great success with peoples cars. I would look at a ROOT setup over the shaft driven one or even a centrifugal one

3000GT of Europe
    www.3sofeu.org/main
    Cherry Hill Mitsubishi Coupon Code- 3SE

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Knight may have had success with other platforms, but his SC's for the 3s SUCK.

As for the RIPP kit, that $2000 "kit" is just the beginning. Now you need to spend another $800 on the RIPP headers, and then injectors, a tuner, and so on and so forth. Very few people have successfully supercharged a 3s.

You want more power? TT swap it.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I got completely shafted by RIPP when I had a 2g Stratus R/T. They refused to refund 700 dollars because a pair of headers I purchased from them had pinholes at the collectors. When I shipped them back they told me it had been more than 30 days and they cannot warrant the refund anymore...EVEN THOUGH I SHIPPED THEM BACK. WTF kind've business is that? Stay true to the platform I guess and turbocharge it OR go with a SC from elsewhere. RIPP sucks the fatties.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Knight may have had success with other platforms, but his SC's for the 3s SUCK.

As for the RIPP kit, that $2000 "kit" is just the beginning. Now you need to spend another $800 on the RIPP headers, and then injectors, a tuner, and so on and so forth. Very few people have successfully supercharged a 3s.

You want more power? TT swap it.
    This!

You want power? trash the SOHC and buy a TT engine, ECU and wiring harness......or just save for a VR4 and save yourself the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    intuition tells me you are SOHC.

tt-swapping is a bit complex for SOHC's. i would say (based on my knowledge of other 3/s supercharging experiences) that you should keep away from supercharging altogether....on a 3/s. i had high hopes for ripp...but the promise soon fizzled out. with the rock-bottom cost of td05 kits, it's stupid NOT to go with turbos; especially for DOHC n/a. stock 9b's will be sufficient for nearly any fwd-tt conversion (not swaps).

for sohc, i would suggest you get in touch with split second motorsports. i believe chatz is looking into making SOHC-specific headers which will allow stock-tt parts to bolt on. if not that, he's definitely looking at making some SOHC single-turbo kits. i would say that's your best bet.

p.s.

i've no idea why SOHC > TT headers hasn't been done before. headers & plenum are about all you'd really need to be able to "bolt-on" all of the stock tt stuff in the same fashion you do it for DOHC. that would make the cost of twin-turbocharging an SOHC relatively inexpensive--even though it would cost more than a DOHC...where you can use only used parts. still, the ~8:1 compression on the SOHC means that you'd have a LOT more room for power than the 10:1 DOHC.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    I got completely shafted by RIPP when I had a 2g Stratus R/T. They refused to refund 700 dollars because a pair of headers I purchased from them had pinholes at the collectors. When I shipped them back they told me it had been more than 30 days and they cannot warrant the refund anymore...EVEN THOUGH I SHIPPED THEM BACK. WTF kind've business is that? Stay true to the platform I guess and turbocharge it OR go with a SC from elsewhere. RIPP sucks the fatties.
    WOW! Crazy! That should be a good tip to the OP.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    http://www.3sgto.org/f43/gi-single-t...html#post60707

post #44. i really like chatz. i hope he pulls it off. it would be one of the greatest things to happen to this platform since the advent of td05 kits.

*edit*

looks like the OP is already subscribed to that thread. did you try contacting them? SSM is EXTREMELY busy from what i gather. it may take them a while to get back with you.
    Last edited by IPD; 05-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    i've no idea why SOHC > TT headers hasn't been done before. headers & plenum are about all you'd really need to be able to "bolt-on" all of the stock tt stuff in the same fashion you do it for DOHC. that would make the cost of twin-turbocharging an SOHC relatively inexpensive--even though it would cost more than a DOHC...where you can use only used parts. still, the ~8:1 compression on the SOHC means that you'd have a LOT more room for power than the 10:1 DOHC.
    I've told you before, it was tried, and it failed. There are so many differences that you still need more custom parts and cant just bolt TT stuff onto a SOHC. Its much easier just to swap out the SOHC for a DOHC engine.

The hardest part of the SOHC to DOHC swap is the alternator wiring. If you have a donor car, everything else you need is there.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    http://www.3sgto.org/f43/gi-single-t...html#post60707

post #44. i really like chatz. i hope he pulls it off. it would be one of the greatest things to happen to this platform since the advent of td05 kits.

*edit*

looks like the OP is already subscribed to that thread. did you try contacting them? SSM is EXTREMELY busy from what i gather. it may take them a while to get back with you.
    I'll try contacting him again hopefully he goes through and makes a sohc turbo kit I'm not looking for a huge amount of power just something around 250-300whp enough to beat most other cars I encounter on a daily basis. Not that I'm racing at every light anyways lol.

Anyways stealthee wouldn't any headers work? It just says performance headers required it doesn't say if they have to be Ripp or not. I would just go with obx ones.