Thread: Few questions for you guys.

Few questions for you guys.

Alright, sorry to make a new thread if this has been addressed, but I want to be damn sure before I go messing with my ECU.

First question,
    How hard is it to put the new caps in a first gen ECU. I cant find anyone to swap with and test and im not sure its the problem so I dont want to shell out 300plus for a known good ECU.
    I know people say its simple but thats subjective, im sure its simple for some.
    I have decent soldering skills, but a bit sloppy, and have a pen style and gun style soldering tool. any imput?

Also,
    I came across one of these VERY cheap.

My question is, is it worth a few hundred bucks for a car that isnt putting out huge numbers?

I am N/A with all bpu (full exhaust, pulleys, intake etc etc), mild performance cams, 75-100 shot of nitrous, accell ignition mod and IPT transmission.

I love the look of it but for the money I could purchase the final parts needed for my turbo kit, and im not sure if it would fit the diamante space wise (hood clearance)

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You should buy it then give it to me If you can use a soldering iron you should be fine. It's just two pins per capacitor. As long as you get them nice and hot [but not too hot that you damage the board] and use a solder sucker. Is your Diamante a JDM or USDM model? Also what part number is listed on the ECU? Cus my ECU is currenlty not in use.... but it is a JDM TT and I'm in Australia but if it matches your welcome to test it.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

wanderlust
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did the caps leak onto the board?

You were looking for a non turbo ecu rite?
    1991 Jamaican Blue 3000gt VR4 || Maddog Performance Engineering|| Roadracers go in deeper and come out harder!

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    Did the caps leak onto the board?

You were looking for a non turbo ecu rite?
    Not from what I can see, but after researching for hours it seems like they dont have to to screw up the car. I have tested everything and all the components check out fine.
    Yes I need a first gen ECU (I can get the part number) or a first gen 3s in the chicago, WI, or Indiana area to swap it into. It was suggested to me that its safest for me to put my questionable ECU into another car.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Mate there is HEAPS of clearance underneath our bonnets. even with my 3.5L I have almost 2"+ before it hits the bonnet lining.
    if your going to turbocharge it, I wouldnt bother with it, if you were staying NA, I probably would buy it.

Thanks man,
    Though I do plan to turbocharge it, I picked it up anyway just because I know that if it doesnt do anything when im running boost that I can sell it to someone running big numbers for as much as I paid for it since they are proven to help in large turbo setups.