Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTOJOE's (slow) build

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

GTOJOE's (slow) build

Thought I might start documenting what I'm doing/have done.

Started with a stock 1990 GTO TT with 19" wheels and King Spring Super Lows. Left it as is for a long time [few years]. Then managed to blow the head gasket [had a leaking heater hose and got stuck in peak hour traffic on the Monash Freeway] and the car sat for almost 12 months cus the same week it happened I bought a house LOL.
    I then got sick of Melbourne and sold my house. Made a profit and fixed my car.
    While getting fixed I did the full 100k km service, water pump, timing belt, tensioners, every rubber hose in the engine bay, thermistat, radiator recon, all new gaskets from the heads up, 99 lash adjuster, new engine mounts.
    Drove it around Melbourne for a week or so then drove it to Cairns. Did it over 4 days. Stopped in Sydney, Brisbane, Mackay, Cairns.
    Got to within 20kms of Cairns and a rock smashed my windscreen. Car sat for another few months while we looked for a new screen. Thanksfullly it cost me nothing as my Insurance with Shannons covers one free windscreen.

Once in Cairns I fitted a front and rear strut brace, Ultimate Performance front and Cusco rear. Fitted DBA slotted & crossdrilled rotors on all 4 corner.

I Also fitted some 6000K HID H4 headlights. I can actually see now.

Purchased a K&N oval filter and adapter. Used my mates engineering workshop to fabricate a mount for the filter using the factory airbox mounting points. Airbox is now rock solid and breathers much better than the stock box.

Car was fine for a long time then while servicing it I noticed some cracks on one of my wheels. Had a look at the others and both fronts had cracks. So again the car was off the road for another month or so while I looked for some affordable wheels.
    Found some wheels that should fit...... guess what they didn't
    Ended up fitting 4mm spacers on the front after spending many hours trying to file the calipers down and make them fit. One day I will finish that and remove the spacers.

During this I also managed to work out a method to get a 280kph speedo and arrange a group buy for these. I'm quite happy with the results.

Last week I got a Vi-PEC V44 stand alone ECU fitted and street tuned. Seems to haul arse up the range through the twisty bits. So frustrating when there are slow fuckers on MY road But as it stand now the stock injectors are maxed out at only 12psi. So begins the next chapter.

Have ordered some goodies from oohnoo to resolve the fuel related problems. Will also be ordering some injectors and fuel pump and trying again. Still haven't completely decided on what turbos I will be going for. But I will most likely be purchasing SSM's quad tip exhaust and SMIC kit before that happens. Those 2 wil be part of chapter 3 LOL.
    Last edited by GTOJOE; 04-14-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Owner Since

Thanks
    So started gutting my spare MAF. Stil need to neaten it up with a file and fill in some holes with silicone or something similar. Will reassemble the top of the MAF and make it look stock.

Started like this [with mesh already removed]

Ended up like this

This bit came out of the middle

This one shows the holes that need a plate or something glued over them to seal the unit. There are 2 holes from the origional sensors and now 8 new ones from cutting out the middle.
    Last edited by GTOJOE; 05-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Bits I ordered from oohnoo. Will just buy the braided line at repco or similar. Also bought a silicon reducer [from ebay] from 3" to 2.75" for this Y-pipe. The POS one that came with it just doesn't work well.

Last edited by GTOJOE; 06-25-2011 at 04:27 AM.

Australia verified Feedback Score 0 GTOX's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds good Joe, interested in the Vi-PEC V44 to see how that goes. Is it easy to tune?
    Kangaroo

Owner Since

Thanks
    I didn't tune it so I can't answer that sorry. I believe as far as stand alone's go it is easy..... but beyond me. It is running MAP so the MAF is now unused. One of my next projects is to gut a spare MAF completely so it's just an oval shaped pipe for better flow.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 7 (100%) mb3000's Avatar
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Subscribed.

Roo fuckers anonymous verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) GTO Assassin's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice Joe. I also heard a dirty rumour you're thinking of moving back to Melbourne?

Oh, and your car is still pink.

Scotty

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO Assassin View Post
    Nice Joe. I also heard a dirty rumour you're thinking of moving back to Melbourne?
    Yeah very likely moving back to Melbourne at the end of the year. My son is due June 21st [we expect him a little early] so prob 6 months after that.

Roo fuckers anonymous verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) GTO Assassin's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What are your goals with this build champ? Drag? Bends?

Scotty

Owner Since

Thanks
    Mostly bends back mountain roads are awesome But would be nice to be able to destroy ppl at the lights.... not that I do that sort of thing

Edit: Actually some bad news today. Speaking to Chatz via PM and his is no longer making the quad tip exhaust system that I wanted due to a few factors. Also the SMIC kit will be more expensive than expected. So looks like I'll have to order some cheap ebay POS exhaust system and cut the cannons off. Only problem with that is the guy selling them real cheap won't ship to Australia so will have to ship to someone else then get them to ship it out to me.......
    Last edited by GTOJOE; 05-18-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast