Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To those who have done the FWD TT Conversion...

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    July 2007

Thanks
    I'd do it again, but I went AWD too. Fun project took me forever cuz I kept getting sidetracked. I wouldn't mind TT'ing another car, but will prob stick with VR4s from now on.
    Current cars: 94 SL-AWD, 95 VR4, 94 VR4 (parts car), 95 VR4 Spyder (fixing)
    Past cars: 93TT-Parted, 92TT-Parted, 94NA-Parted, 95TT-Parted, 93SL-Parted, 91VR4-Sold, 91VR4-Sold
    STEALTHS ARE LIKE A TWIN BROTHER, GOOD FOR PARTS!!

No sheep are safe tonight supporter Feedback Score 4 (100%) Valhallaz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Mine's a swap, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's been a daily driver for over two years, and reliability hasn't been an issue even with light mods. I don't really care about running from a dig, just wanted a strong daily driver/tourer.
    I've recently had the chance to drive a couple VR4's with similar mods, and compared to the fwd tt, they just felt heavy and a bit sluggish. I'll admit I've considered an AWD conversion, but I just can't justify the extra weight for the way I drive. And from a fast roll, it's plenty quick.
    Use quality parts and don't cut corners, and it'll be a car you'll love.

Yes, I really can DJ from my car... Feedback Score 0 DJ_X_Factor's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhallaz View Post
    Mine's a swap, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's been a daily driver for over two years, and reliability hasn't been an issue even with light mods. I don't really care about running from a dig, just wanted a strong daily driver/tourer.
    I've recently had the chance to drive a couple VR4's with similar mods, and compared to the fwd tt, they just felt heavy and a bit sluggish. I'll admit I've considered an AWD conversion, but I just can't justify the extra weight for the way I drive. And from a fast roll, it's plenty quick.
    Use quality parts and don't cut corners, and it'll be a car you'll love.
    I'm the same, I have gone to the track a whopping one time in my entire life. I want the better run from a roll and that instant throttle response when I need it. Not so much trying to sit head to head with someone and go on green. My street racing days are far over, now I just want that "happy place" in my powerband that FI offers. I planned on upgrading with quality parts as I went as well, so I'm glad to see my thinking is correct!
    91 Stealth RT/TT -New Mitsu Complete Shortblock, 13G TD04 Turbos, GReddy BOV, CXRacing SMIC Intercoolers with full Hard Pipes kit, Stillen Downpipe
    Stillen Intake, DN Polished Y-Pipe, Borla Catback Exhaust system, MSD Performance Wires, Vac Delete, 550 DR Injectors, HKS Boost Controller, HKS Super AFR, Rebuilt ECU, RPS Max Street Clutch and Pressure Plate, Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors all around with Ceramic Pads, Stainless Braided Brake Lines w/ Red jackets all around, CXRacing 14kg Fully Adjustable Coilover Suspension, BT Freestyle 1-Off 18" Rims on 245/40/18's

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2) Feedback Score 0 11secondFWD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post

With all due respect because you deserve it I think you wanted something different out of your car than the OP does.
    Well I kinda see what you are saying but what is the main purpose of the TT swap? He obviously wants more power than the stock NA FWD can offer. So in all reality he is doing this swap to make much more power which is going to turn into many traction problems on the street.

I understand that he may not be looking to drag race or street race from a dig but he is still going to want to mess around and floor it around on the street. And without much traction it sucks. I never got traction til 3rd and then in high rpms it still spun in third. So, its not my idea of the best fast street car.

And with all the hassle, and parts and extras just to have a lesser car in every way, I think its dumb. I absolutely loved my car, it was my life and my pride and joy but man it really is better just to buy a vr4.

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

Yes, I really can DJ from my car... Feedback Score 0 DJ_X_Factor's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 11secondFWD View Post
    Well I kinda see what you are saying but what is the main purpose of the TT swap? He obviously wants more power than the stock NA FWD can offer. So in all reality he is doing this swap to make much more power which is going to turn into many traction problems on the street.

I understand that he may not be looking to drag race or street race from a dig but he is still going to want to mess around and floor it around on the street. And without much traction it sucks. I never got traction til 3rd and then in high rpms it still spun in third. So, its not my idea of the best fast street car.

And with all the hassle, and parts and extras just to have a lesser car in every way, I think its dumb. I absolutely loved my car, it was my life and my pride and joy but man it really is better just to buy a vr4.
    He's 27 and kinda-sorta knows how to drive a vehicle with some power. If you can tell me where to buy a well-running and cosmetically solid VR4 with all the mods I've done to my Stealth for a purchase price of $1000-$1500 and I'm on it, otherwise I'm pretty sure I am going to take that same $1500 and invest a little more into my already large investment. Anyone who knows these cars knows how much my Tein Suspension costs alone, not to mention the other thousands I've put into my other upgrades (performance and otherwise.)

This comment is leaning towards the flaming I've gotten in the past (so pardon the semi-stern response), but there's been enough positive comments within this thread to convince me that my goals are not unrealistic. I'm not aiming for an 11-second FWD (though yours is quite impressive), that's not realistic to me for my wants. I'm not going to be romping on the throttle at every stoplight, nor fly down the streets of Myrtle Beach like a banshee. I *might* have a little fun like that on rare occasion; but my ultimate goal is to be rocking a 300+HP Stealth that turns heads (which it already does), wins trophies (which i already have), and shuts mouths (when the power is needed). Pardon the rant, but I just had to get that out of me!

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I did the conversion on my last FWD. Would I do it again? Yeah, if I could come across another deal like the first. $1100 for everything from a VR4 with blown motor. If you can get the parts needed at a good price to you then do it. If it looks like it might end up costing $4000+ then I would hunt for a VR4. But basically since you want to keep what you got now and make it faster, thats all up to you, not anyone else. People will praise and people will hate. Its all part of the game.

Another option you did mention, which is what I am going to do is the 3.5L swap. But that doesnt mean it wont come with the occasional hater. The typical response has been, "Just buy the stroker kit." I would if it didnt cost $5000 just for the kit. So I will swap in the 3.5L with BPU and possibly run a small shot of nitrous. I have seen many posts about the power increase for something that cost about $1200, the average price I have found so far.

Point being, It's your car man. Do what ever you want to it. You work hard for your money to spend how you choose to. Good luck

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 7 (100%) mb3000's Avatar
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_X_Factor View Post
    He's 27 and kinda-sorta knows how to drive a vehicle with some power. If you can tell me where to buy a well-running and cosmetically solid VR4 with all the mods I've done to my Stealth for a purchase price of $1000-$1500 and I'm on it, otherwise I'm pretty sure I am going to take that same $1500 and invest a little more into my already large investment. Anyone who knows these cars knows how much my Tein Suspension costs alone, not to mention the other thousands I've put into my other upgrades (performance and otherwise.)

This comment is leaning towards the flaming I've gotten in the past (so pardon the semi-stern response), but there's been enough positive comments within this thread to convince me that my goals are not unrealistic. I'm not aiming for an 11-second FWD (though yours is quite impressive), that's not realistic to me for my wants. I'm not going to be romping on the throttle at every stoplight, nor fly down the streets of Myrtle Beach like a banshee. I *might* have a little fun like that on rare occasion; but my ultimate goal is to be rocking a 300+HP Stealth that turns heads (which it already does), wins trophies (which i already have), and shuts mouths (when the power is needed). Pardon the rant, but I just had to get that out of me!
    ^That's what SC31 is there for
    I say go for it, I always wanted to do it but couldn't justify it for my own personal reasons, but I would love for a fwdtt to be running around town

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2) Feedback Score 0 11secondFWD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_X_Factor View Post

That's fine with me. I am just letting you know from experience. Will it be fun, yes, will it ever be as good as having a vr4, no. It sounds to me like you already made your mind up before asking the question. I feel you only wanted people to verify what you already had your heart set on. Well, I don't mean you can get a vr4 for 1500, but if you sold the current car plus the 1500 I am sure you could get a vr4. And let me know if you only end up spending 1500 for everything. It seems doubtful for me that to get it running awesome you will only spend 1500. There is alot of other complications and extra parts. I don't know your exact plans or what you have but for me there was a lot of other expenses, even if small, that add up. I can go into to detail if you want but to get your car exactly like a vr4 or with some extra little mods and running perfect 1500 seems to good to be true.

And bro I am not trying to flame you because most of the people that have "flamed" you do not know what they are talking about. I am just giving my straight up advice. I put 35k into my fwdtt (including 5k) purchase price. I know how pricey it gets to run at top condition. And you will never be happy with no traction.

Story: An A-hole tried passing me in his escalade a several months back. I was going 35 in 35. I seen him about to pull around to my left I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and punched it. I just roasted tires even with pedaling it and he passed me up with ease. So have fun getting passed by slow cars on the streets due to no traction. And when you want to show people some power as you put it, have fun being beat by cars much slower than you. If you want to win, I wouldnt race unless going over 65mph.

Lastly man, if you want to do it then, do it. But you posted it and wanted to know truth and I told you. I know all about the fwd setup and with a TON of other fwd tt's I am 1 of 3 to be in the 11's and the only one ever faster than me was chriss hill ipo in his t2.

Will you be happy, yes, because you are going from a slow fwd pile to a TT, which has a lot of power. Its an awesome upgrade from what it starts off as, but a vr4 is always going to be best and your fwdtt will never be a vr4 in the end. AWD FTW!

No sheep are safe tonight supporter Feedback Score 4 (100%) Valhallaz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'll be the 1st to admit that putting power down from a dig isn't gonna happen.
    That being said, I don't accidently lose traction, nor has it really been an issue in going on 3 years as a dd. I'm well aware of it's limitations traction wise, and generally live within them.
    And from a fast roll (I'm on cape cod, roads where you can get next to anything other than on the interstate are rare) there are plenty of cars that can take me, but nothing slow is likely to. Nor is a similarly modded VR4, for that matter.
    Both have strengths and weaknesses. You just have to decide what you want out of it.

Hitokiri Battousai verified Feedback Score 0 Jeremy C's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks
    honestly, if I could go back I would probably have left my car alone. I love my car dearly, but it's been sitting now for nearly 2 years barely getting more than a spin around the block to keep things from seizing. Anyone that read my posts back at the old sight know just how many issues I had with the transmissions in my car, and beyond the economic impact it had, I now fear getting hard on my car. Anytime I get it more than 1/2 throttle I'm waiting to hear something break again.

I miss having a car that I could get into and just drive without worry. I guess you could say I've grown a little lazy having a daily driver that just works.

Now if I can finally get around to dropping an AWD trans into the car (maybe with a rear end still attached) I might change my mind. as it is, the cool factor of the FWD has worn off after 6 years of having it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast