Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To those who have done the FWD TT Conversion...

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Groove View Post
    I say it is worth it.

Now going bigger turbos, like I did when I went with 13Ts, it is not worth it, traction is a bitch and you cannot tune for the full potential.

But a solid 9B tune, which my FWD TT will be going back to before I sell her, is very much worth it. And can be very reliable when done right.

-John
    Just keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Yes, I really can DJ from my car... Feedback Score 0 DJ_X_Factor's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Sounds like your car is TT conversion material. If you are attached to it, have it customized the way you want it and you are mechanically inclined then go for it. Do you have a 2nd car?
    I'm quite attached to it...and I'm quite mechnically inclined. the swap itself doesn't scare me in the least...I'm just uneasy about all the comments of unreliability. Yes, I have a 2nd car, my Stealth officially became a weekend toy about two months ago when I got my F150.
    91 Stealth RT/TT -New Mitsu Complete Shortblock, 13G TD04 Turbos, GReddy BOV, CXRacing SMIC Intercoolers with full Hard Pipes kit, Stillen Downpipe
    Stillen Intake, DN Polished Y-Pipe, Borla Catback Exhaust system, MSD Performance Wires, Vac Delete, 550 DR Injectors, HKS Boost Controller, HKS Super AFR, Rebuilt ECU, RPS Max Street Clutch and Pressure Plate, Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors all around with Ceramic Pads, Stainless Braided Brake Lines w/ Red jackets all around, CXRacing 14kg Fully Adjustable Coilover Suspension, BT Freestyle 1-Off 18" Rims on 245/40/18's

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
    Traction does suck but with some decent tires and an LSD it's doable. Once you get up to speed you'll hardly notice the FWD shittyness as long as you have a proper suspsension on your car. Best thing I've done to my car, hands down. I was pretty much sold on an AWD swap this winter but I think I may hold off a bit as now that I'm more into tracking/auto-x than drag racing the traction isn't really an issue.
    I've got the proper suspension, I have the Tein Flex Adjustable Coilover System on her. ...I need to really update my sig pic because she looks much different nowadays...sits much meaner (3 1/2 inch drop) and has the Venom bumper.

I wouldn't mind doing a little dragging on rare occasion, but this is primarily because I want more power from a roll, so traction at a stand-still isn't so much my concern. The tires I'm running are the Falken Ziex ZE-502 series in a 245/40/18 front and back.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Groove View Post
    I say it is worth it.

Now going bigger turbos, like I did when I went with 13Ts, it is not worth it, traction is a bitch and you cannot tune for the full potential.

But a solid 9B tune, which my FWD TT will be going back to before I sell her, is very much worth it. And can be very reliable when done right.

-John
    I'm not looking for massive power, i know that's not realistic with a 10:1 compression. I'd be very very happy at a max of 325-350HP range after all is said and done...and I think that's a reasonable/realistic goal, right?

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_X_Factor View Post
    I'm quite attached to it...and I'm quite mechnically inclined. the swap itself doesn't scare me in the least...I'm just uneasy about all the comments of unreliability. Yes, I have a 2nd car, my Stealth officially became a weekend toy about two months ago when I got my F150.
    I would say do it then. It's not really unreliable unless you do the conversion half assed or crank the boost way up. If you are doing a swap it will be more reliable than the 10:1 plus if you have a TT ECU you’ll not need a piggyback.

***** Abuser Feedback Score 0 Hannibalzero's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you are sentimentally attached to the car, by all means do it. It really is not that difficult for a decent backyard mechanic. Finding the used parts for a good price is not that difficult if you are patient.

If the car is just a car, just upgrade to a VR4.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibalzero View Post
    If you are sentimentally attached to the car, by all means do it. It really is not that difficult for a decent backyard mechanic. Finding the used parts for a good price is not that difficult if you are patient.

If the car is just a car, just upgrade to a VR4.
    Yeah, I am very sentimentally attached to her lol. That's why there's not a TT already in the garage instead, by the time I could afford one I had already fallen for mine. I certainly have the patience to gather the parts, and that was kind of the plan is to just assemble the parts as I find good deals on them. I've got every tool you could/would need to work on these cars, so I'm quite the backyard mechanic to say the least...no other mechanic rarely ever gets their hands on my cars; I usually tend to only trust my own work.

My fiance says the Stealth is my mistress that i go out in the garage and cheat on her with. I spend about equal amounts of time with the car as i do with my soon-to-be wife!

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) J-Groove's Avatar
    Owner Since
    November 1999

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Just keep it!

I would if I could. Just not enough space. The wife and I have 4 cars right now and only a 2 car garage. Just not worth it. My FWD-TT isn't costing me anything right now really though, she is on storage insurance until I do the de-modding (back to 9Bs with no piggy backs) so that is all of $12/month for insurance.

The whole sale of my '95 will be going into my IRA/ paying down my '99 VR-4.

I'm not looking for massive power, i know that's not realistic with a 10:1 compression. I'd be very very happy at a max of 325-350HP range after all is said and done...and I think that's a reasonable/realistic goal, right?
    Very reasonable. A FWD-TT is a great car! I daily drove mine for a couple of years. Only issues I had were from some cheap mods. (I went for a budget TT ECU, it leaked and caused issues, went for some budget 9B turbos, they blew oil and I replaced them with 13T turbos.) The big issue that took my car down was when I was in traffice and had to straddle some stuff in the road. It tore up a lot from under my car, that happened right before we closed on our home, so money was gone!

All the horror stories about a FWD-TT being unreliable are from those who didn't do it right, or had some bad luck.

-John

edit: Also, listen to Green-Lantern, the man is a bad ass with converting FWD to TT AWD cars of beauty.

I remember helping him out when he was first doing his TT conversion, now the man is a master! Puts any and all of my help to shame. haha
    Last edited by J-Groove; 09-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.

11 sec FWD! (old name: 94atxvr2) Feedback Score 0 11secondFWD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2004 ****Click my home page for videos*****

Thanks
    Do NOT do it. I just bought a vr4 in perfect running order for LESS than I paid just for my JDM TT engine. And you will never have traction, have to do all the work. It is fun to drag if you have 26x10 slicks but sucks for a fast street car. Never getting traction and having power on the street is a downer. I did it for 4 years.

92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto = 10.61@127.8 (1.4 60ft)
    94 3000gt SL 8:1TT 5spd getrag = 11.87@123 (1.8 60ft)
    91 3000gt VR4 13gs = 11.61@115 (1.59 60ft)

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Yeah, I am very sentimentally attached to her lol. That's why there's not a TT already in the garage instead, by the time I could afford one I had already fallen for mine. I certainly have the patience to gather the parts, and that was kind of the plan is to just assemble the parts as I find good deals on them. I've got every tool you could/would need to work on these cars, so I'm quite the backyard mechanic to say the least...no other mechanic rarely ever gets their hands on my cars; I usually tend to only trust my own work.

My fiance says the Stealth is my mistress that i go out in the garage and cheat on her with. I spend about equal amounts of time with the car as i do with my soon-to-be wife!
    I say do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11secondFWD View Post
    Do NOT do it. I just bought a vr4 in perfect running order for LESS than I paid just for my JDM TT engine. And you will never have traction, have to do all the work. It is fun to drag if you have 26x10 slicks but sucks for a fast street car. Never getting traction and having power on the street is a downer. I did it for 4 years.
    With all due respect because you deserve it I think you wanted something different out of your car than the OP does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast