Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all owners who have put in large stereo's in their 3S.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Calling all owners who have put in large stereo's in their 3S.

Looks like I am not going too go as massive as I thought, and the electrical limits of the 3s platform is unknown to me. So I ask:

With the following done:

Bigtyla's ground kit in 1/0GA
    1/0GA from alternator power to battery "+"
    1/0GA from front to back

Will the stock alternator support 2,000 Watts RMS?

Anyone who suggests needing / using caps will promptly be ignored in this thread
    Last edited by 2fnloud; 05-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    How's about some caps?

Sorry - you asked for that.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    How's about some caps?

Sorry - you asked for that.
    Yes I know, and I knew it was going to happen....I even laughed.

i would say no.

2000w/12v=166A
    2000w/12v=142A

I would say that you would need at least a 200amp alternator for a system that large. If you want it 100% reliable, you already have the big 3 (alt to battery, engine to chassis, battery to chassis), i would also get a deep cycle battery and wire it in along with your current battery.

I mean you can do it with less, but i wouldnt. Some people run 1500w systems off of an 80A alt and it works. To do it right, get a high output alt.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ignore above...

Music will run at full volume 20% of your amps power. Music is not a sine wave, its a complex wave, it is dynamic so is full of spikes. Don't think you will be anywhere near your alternators limits with that continuous. Music spikes above your alts rating will be taken care of by the battery so dont get a Deep cycle unless you like running your stereo for extended time and you run your bat below 10 volts alot. Deep cycle bats are terribly slow at discharge, so use the best biggest lead acid you can fit or better yet dual batt.
    Last edited by reallyxxxxxxloud; 05-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reallyxxxxxxloud For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reallyxxxxxxloud View Post
    Ignore above...

Music will run at full volume 20% of your amps power. Music is not a sine wave, its a complex wave, it is dynamic so is full of spikes. Don't think you will be anywhere near your alternators limits with that continuous. Music spikes above your alts rating will be taken care of by the battery so dont get a Deep cycle unless you like running your stereo for extended time and you run your bat below 10 volts alot. Deep cycle bats are terribly slow at discharge, so use the best biggest lead acid you can fit or better yet dual batt.
    I remember reading about how you can take and replace the stock fuse with one about a third of the size and you still won't pop it.

I also talked to a good friend that runs a R/F DB4000 or what ever that monster is with factory alt in his 08 civic SI and two Vtank 2000 batteries. He said his lights barely dim at night and that is with heavy bass notes

I am going to look into BATCAP 800's for the rear, that way I can keep them hidden in the amp rack that I am building. I was going to build my system out and if I have issues, I will just get a mechman 220 amp H/O alternator. But it sounds like I will not need it.

I was really hoping that you would offer some advise to this, thanks.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Years ago I had 1600w or so in my 97 NA. And that alternator wasn't as big as a TT's. The only issues I had were the normal interior lights dimming, I always wondered if that was ground related or power, wouldn't hurt to run an extra 12 or 10 gauge from the thin console area to the chassis.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I planned on running an 10GA Power & Ground when I install my system so I know that it I have issues it will be because I need a bigger alternator. But after talking to a friend that is MECP certified and running a 2000W RMS amp in an 08 civic SI with stock alt and two additional batteries, and other posts here I should be fine.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    DC runs negitive to positive. So it you dont have a choke at the grounding point eg wire size or termination (dump fuses for C/Breakers) you will be fine. I run 0 gauge in my hilux (everywhere) with a 18" getting 2500wrms and even with sine wave bass drops of 20hz I'm only just dimming. But I know that I'm at my batteries limit of discharge. But with music its perfectly fine at full volume. Always do biggest battery first, thickest earths you can to the chassis (how can a wire be thicker than your chassis? your chassis is the thickest wire in your car). A second battery will still be cheaper than replacing your alt and give you better results.

P.S a Batcap is a awesome choice but exspensive (massively low ESR and that equals an amazingly quick response to peak demands).
    Last edited by reallyxxxxxxloud; 05-10-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds like I am going to put the biggest Batcap that properly fits under the hood and two Batcap 800's in the rear (the 800 can be laid it's side, 3" thick).