Thread: 92 vr4 spun bearing

Forum User Feedback Score 0 jRocks.vr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

92 vr4 spun bearing

ok so i recently spun a bearing on my car and now its sitting on my driveway.this is the first time this has happened to me. i talked to my mechanic and he said that it gonna cost me around 2.5-3.5k to fixed. What he said was they have to change the block and so on. What im wondering is..is he said im gonna need to talk to the people from the machine shop to figure stuff out on sizes and such but i wouldnt know what to say besides get it to stock. please help..

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Find a new mechanic and/or a new machine shop. There should be no lack of information between those two. They might need you to decide if you're willing to accept some repair that is borderline (but less expensive), but they should never need you to supply technical information. For the amount of money they want you could get a rebuilt short block and just pay someone in your area to change it out for you. There has to be someone in your area that could help you do the swap at a reasonable price. Just my .02.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That is a bit ridiculous that he wants you to be the middle man between them and the machine shop. If he wants you to do all of the communicating between them, which would cause a total influx of communication problems and make the whole process take far too long, then I wonder if what he quoted you on was just labor. If it includes the short block, labor, and all misc parts in between then that looks like a good deal to me...just wish they could be the ones to pick up the phone. Maybe he just wanted you to contact them so that you could figure out the sizes of pistons, rods, rings, blah blah...all of the internals. That's what the forum is for! As him if that price includes parts or just the labor that goes into it. You can get a block online from a few places including PMP who seem to have pretty awesome prices.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Owner Since

Thanks
    that is what the mechanic said.. to talk about the size of pistons, rods and what nots. but im not sure what i would say besides just get it running. the price that he said is for parts and labor included. its gonna run around that price range.

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The price is cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. I would find a mechnic whom knows what he is talking about. And you do NOT need a new block.

-Chris

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The only reason to change the block is if it has collateral damage that can't be repaired. But it is unlikely that is the case. And the machine shop doing the work should check that as one of their first steps. The more I read, the less confident I am that THIS mechanic and THIS machine shop are going to give you a satisfactory end product no matter how much you pay them.

Owner Since

Thanks
    ...but DAMN that's a good price, lol. Get him to give you a bitchin warranty on it and have at it!

Owner Since

Thanks
    the price set is cause its more on a homie hook up. i know the son of the owner and they always worked on my car. but all i need to know is what size i need to say and what i would have to do for the car cause i have no idea what i would say to the machine shop. sorry for being late in the posts and keep up with this. i been busy with school and finals week.
    Last edited by jRocks.vr4; 05-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I am only going to say this because it's out of experience, but be careful when dealing with family/friends on big projects. It makes things extra awkward and crappy. You'll initially be getting a deal but if anything goes wrong they are out of money IF they fix it and you will will feel like an ass and not be as lax with the family. It's weird that he still wants you to speak to the machine shop. In order to get specific measurements for your motor (assuming you will be rebuilding it and not dropping in a rebuilt one and using yours as a core) you will need to measure the damage to your motor. Best bet, just call the shop and tell them the whole story. They ought to give you a run down on what you need to do.

Owner Since

Thanks
    ok..will take that into alot of consideration. thanks madmarc. good thing i have forums to help me out