Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: $15,000 in performance parts what would you get?

  1. #41
    Not A DSM verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    June 2006

    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    IDK if you guys are talking about me or not and I dont wanna sound like a dick when I say this, but I have all that covered .. Been done that .. This car is the final piece in the puzzle for me .. And I wanna say I truly do agree with everything said .. 15k is alot of money to drop in a car, which is a horrible horrible financial investment if you ever plan to sell it .. The 30k I end up dropping on my car will make it twice as bad as well, but I personally could care less .. For me its a personal investment .. Money is just a ways to a means in this life and its not important unless you dont have it .. As for me 30k is a cheap price to pay for this type of vehicle .. And if this car spins a bearing or does anything else short of being totalled .. I will just fix it and move forward .. No big deal .. And if I dont like these 750's .. I will just sell them and just buy something else .. No big deal !!
    Exactly!

    I haven't gotten to this point on my Stealth because I'm busy playing that game with my other car. I've spent a little over $14,000 on it so far and I haven't even touched the engine yet. I imagine it will have cost me a little over $20,000 to finish it. It's a horrible investment. Cars usually are if were talking about monetary return. I'll never seen that money again and I don't care. The car is worth about $3,500 but when it's done there won't be a better new car for $20k and that's what this car will be, new. When I'm done with it I intend to do the same to the Stealth albeit with about 300 more HP.

    I'm not doing this for money. I'm doing this because I enjoy it. Also, I make about $30k a year, not much. It may take a lot of money. It just means it take me a little longer than I like.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    12-22-98

    Location
    Coastal Delaware
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brutten View Post
    Sounds like you have given this some thought and know what you want. I would vote for the 750's myself and keep the car as streetable as possible. In my opinion 750's is about the limit in turbo size for a fun street car / reliable on long trips. Some may disagree but I can say on my first mod spree I went with everyone's suggestions and ended up with a fast 1/4 car and found I was really missing the ability to just hop in and drive a slightly modified car and have fun without worrying about breaking things or watching a dozen gauges all the time. I ended up selling that car and starting over with the lessons I learned.

    I dont mean to hijack this thread with all this but You know your spot on .. And what I wanted out of this was a fun, reliable, ten second daily driver !!! And it appears the DR750's are exactly that .. I started looking into building this car in 2007 and had the extra cash at the time to do it, but when I didnt find the ideal build I just went and bought the 98 instead .. I do know I could make more power for probably less money etc.etc.etc. but that isnt what Im after here .. Money isnt the issue for me .. Reaching my goal is .. Personally, I want the funnest car I can build within my goals .. And like you said above I also believe this is it for the 3/S platform .. Any faster is just gonna be too fast IMO .. And with the ease of the Arc-2 as explained to me for tuning this car it should be pretty much what the 2010 VR4 should be when all is said and done .. So Im gonna rock the 98 stock for now and toy with the 97 and hopefully with any luck and alot of cash have the best of both worlds ..

    On another note and I say this just for a point of interest for any of you reading this, IMO the stock 97 is a far better car than the stock 98 due to the suspension set up .. It handles alot better on street and I will miss it ..

    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    I think you will need new wheels. And you can um donate the ones in your sig to me.
    Well its a secret so dont tell anyone but I think the stockies are gonna be wrapped in drag radials for those occasional occasions !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Exactly!

    I haven't gotten to this point on my Stealth because I'm busy playing that game with my other car. I've spent a little over $14,000 on it so far and I haven't even touched the engine yet. I imagine it will have cost me a little over $20,000 to finish it. It's a horrible investment. Cars usually are if were talking about monetary return. I'll never seen that money again and I don't care. The car is worth about $3,500 but when it's done there won't be a better new car for $20k and that's what this car will be, new. When I'm done with it I intend to do the same to the Stealth albeit with about 300 more HP.

    I'm not doing this for money. I'm doing this because I enjoy it. Also, I make about $30k a year, not much. It may take a lot of money. It just means it take me a little longer than I like.
    My neighbor has a couple of oldsmobiles .. 442's .. And you know when I chatted him up about all this he promised me from one car lover to another it would be worth every penny plus .. Much like you I guess we will see !!
    Last edited by Lugnut; 09-19-2010 at 02:59 PM.

  3. #43
    DR750's cool kid club!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 55 Times in 31 Posts
    15K$ is what I've spent each year for the last 3 years. I preffer that then have a 70K$+ car under monthly payment.

    Eric


    DR750's, DR stage III heads, DR Boost cooler stage 2, Denso 660cc, TE37SL +273'S Z1 , KWv3, Stedebani suspension buschings, SCE 13'' Stoptech, 2G rear brakes, Forged shortblock, 3SX cam gears, SCE racing oil pan, PST CFDS, RPS 6 puck, RPS Flywheel, ETS FMIC, 3'' custom quad tips catback, new leather seats heated, SCE center diff, Quaife, brand new tranny/tcase, Billet casings, Chrome ECU, Swaintech...

  4. #44
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1996

    Location
    alamogordo, nm
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 22 Posts
    DR750's and supporting mods. I'm driving my DR750 car today, man it's fun!!!

    Turbo Porn!





    Over 600 AWHP and looking like this... Priceless

    Last edited by SnakeSkinner; 09-19-2010 at 08:19 PM.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnakeSkinner For This Useful Post:


  6. #45
    Forum User Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Turbo porn win.

    Current:
    1972 Chevy Nova
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L
    1991 Stealth TT FWD
    1962 Volkswagen Beetle

    Previous:
    1994 Stealth RT/TT
    1999 3000gt SL
    1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle
    1976 Jaguar XJ6
    1991 Chevy S10
    2000 Ford focus

  7. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    12-22-98

    Location
    Coastal Delaware
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
    I need a moment alone .. Dont look at me !!!

  8. #47
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner View Post
    Over 600 AWHP and looking like this... Priceless

    Hard to argue with that logic...

  9. #48
    VR-3747 :D Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2008

    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_94_3000GT View Post
    And what is your built set up that cost 11k? Just wondering because the jump from 72 to 74 is not "a few" changes. Once you change turbos, you're changing manifolds gotta factor in those.Gotta buy a new block and crank, various parts don't just bolt on from your motor so if you dont get a complete engine you have to source those out too. Ported and polished heads like the DR ones can cost in the $3k range (new of course). I'm not saying it cant be done, but a 74 build is pricey, especially with the machine work and what not.
    well a big factor is, do you know anyone with a machine shop? can you get decent prices if you dont? are you going to do most if not all of it yourself?

    my built setup is
    - 3.1L forged crank, rods, pistons
    - heads with port and polish, valve job, 99 lifters, new seals, milled flat
    - 19t's
    - blow thru setup (3.75" z06 maf with maf-t)
    - 550cc inj
    - safcII
    - fuel pump
    - wideband 02, oil pressure gauge
    - tons of other little things i cant even remember.

    i spent like ~13k on everything so far, but i have almost 2k of extra stuff im trying to sell off right now. i have moda r6's, a nice dnp y-pipe (draw thru setup), had to buy brake calipers, rotors, transfer case, short block... everything. i did it all for like 13k dude. if i can get all that for that price... oh yeah, that price also includes buying the rolling chassis... if i can do that, then a 6g74 build, engine only, is VERY doable on 15k.
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

  10. #49
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    July 2007

    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
    well a big factor is, do you know anyone with a machine shop? can you get decent prices if you dont? are you going to do most if not all of it yourself?

    my built setup is
    - 3.1L forged crank, rods, pistons
    - heads with port and polish, valve job, 99 lifters, new seals, milled flat
    - 19t's
    - blow thru setup (3.75" z06 maf with maf-t)
    - 550cc inj
    - safcII
    - fuel pump
    - wideband 02, oil pressure gauge
    - tons of other little things i cant even remember.

    i spent like ~13k on everything so far, but i have almost 2k of extra stuff im trying to sell off right now. i have moda r6's, a nice dnp y-pipe (draw thru setup), had to buy brake calipers, rotors, transfer case, short block... everything. i did it all for like 13k dude. if i can get all that for that price... oh yeah, that price also includes buying the rolling chassis... if i can do that, then a 6g74 build, engine only, is VERY doable on 15k.
    I respectfully disagree with you, mainly because all of what you did is nice and all. However if you're going 74 you aren't staying TD04 are you? Which means manifolds, turbos ect. I only say this from having a built 72 with DR800s.
    Current cars: 94 SL-AWD, 95 VR4, 94 VR4 (parts car), 95 VR4 Spyder (fixing)
    Past cars: 93TT-Parted, 92TT-Parted, 94NA-Parted, 95TT-Parted, 93SL-Parted, 91VR4-Sold, 91VR4-Sold
    STEALTHS ARE LIKE A TWIN BROTHER, GOOD FOR PARTS!!

  11. #50
    One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Posts
    1,804
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brutten View Post
    Sounds like you have given this some thought and know what you want. I would vote for the 750's myself and keep the car as streetable as possible. In my opinion 750's is about the limit in turbo size for a fun street car / reliable on long trips. Some may disagree but I can say on my first mod spree I went with everyone's suggestions and ended up with a fast 1/4 car and found I was really missing the ability to just hop in and drive a slightly modified car and have fun without worrying about breaking things or watching a dozen gauges all the time. I ended up selling that car and starting over with the lessons I learned.
    This is a seriously underrated post.....so many times I see this.
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering