Thread: crankshaft spacercan it be installed wrong?

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

crankshaft spacercan it be installed wrong?

so i finished with my cam seal replacement today. one of the last things to go back on the engine was the crank pulley. it seemed a little wobbly as i was installing it. I noticed that the cogged ring did not fit flush with the front of the crankshaft. it was "out" by 2 or 3 mm....i couldn't remember if that was the way it looked before or not....so i installed the crank pulley, torqued it down and started it up.....ran fine, no wobble in the pulley or any noise....took it for a ride and all was well....then looking back through my old picts i found one of this area and the cogged pulley was FLUSH with the front of the crank....WTF! now i'm thinking i need to pull the whole dam thing apart again to see if the spacer is on there wrong somehow? I wish i had a picture of one to see what they look like! can it be put on backwards? any other ideas?
    Last edited by hotrodln; 04-25-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The sprocket probably could be put on backwards. There is a little dowel pin on the front that should go into the crank pulley. If you put it on backwards this probably could space it out, but I would think it would cause more problems than just that...

picture here:

http://www.akadia.ru/_catalog-images...230-500082.jpg
    Last edited by RL7; 04-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    well the large dowel pin was definately sticking out the front. The crank pulley has a hole in the back that it goes into.......just seems wierd that the cogged sleeve was sticking out like that........i'm going to end up taking it all apart again........unless somebody tells me that the cogged ring ISN'T supposed to be flush with the front of the crank...........my old picts show it flush...........

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What about the thick washer that goes between the crank bolt and cog, is that on? You didn't put it under the cog did you?

Owner Since

Thanks
    nope- the big fat washer is right around the bolt head.........i'm wondering if the crank spacer somehow got turned and it doesn't have the key going through it.....i'll pull it off and have a look.

Owner Since

Thanks
    ok pulled it all apart tonight.........the cogged gear was definaltey STUCK on there.......there must have been some crud or something on the inside of the cogged gear.......because when i torqued it down over the weekend, it pushed it on there farther.........now it was a PITA to get back off......anyway checked it all out....had the spacer on there right....i might just be getting too paranoid about this car.....either that or i just hate walking!......anyway it;'s on it's way back together.....i'm becoming an expert at timing belt jobs......i should open a shop!

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Maybe it just didn't go on quite all the way because of corrosion or something. You may want to take a wire brush to the parts to make the sprocket slide on a little easier.

XLR8TOR Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The sprocket should slide on or off with nothing more than your fingers. Make sure that all parts are absolutely clean when re-assemblying them and you should not have any trouble. It is also a good idea to clean all threads with a wire brush and if possible clean all inside threads with thread chasers before you re-assemble them. All properly cleaned bolts should go all the way with nothing more than your fingers except for torquing them.

Also check the keyway to make sure that it is setting with the same height front and back and should not be out of place.
    1992 Stealth R/t Twin Turbo Original Owner