Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Converting from a 1G to 2G ECU/Harness

  1. #1
    What it is? Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Converting from a 1G to 2G ECU/Harness

    After having so many issues with 1G electronics, I've decided to switch over to a 94/95 setup. I know I will be needing the 2G ECU and engine harness but will I also need the body harness? I'm currently running a TT conversion setup and have a 92' TT body harness laying around, would that work? I'll be hooking it up to work with the CAS instead of switching over to both the crank and cam sensors on the 93+ models. Is there anything else that will need to be modified/replaced? Any help will be much appreciated!

    -Aaron

  2. #2
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2003

    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Aaron, you don't need to do any of that. The most you'll have to do is mess with your CAS sensor wiring to account for the sensor latency difference.

    The 3 plugs to the 1g ecu plug right into the 94/95 ecu. You'll have to run one wire to the 4th plug location. Check out this post:

    http://www.3sgto.org/f13/diy-94-97-9...html#post71586

    And the supporting stuff:

    http://www.plxdevices.com/ECUDatabas...thTT_91_97.pdf

    Stealth 316 - CAS Conversion
    Support NG!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to lawdogg For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    What it is? Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Really? That's alot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks!

  5. #4
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2003

    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Yeah man I was shocked too. I plugged my 94 ECU into my 92, jumping that one wire to the new pin, and it fired right up. I think the only issue is going to be the timing advance from the sensor latency - if I start to push it - but I'm planning on swapping in my 94 engine so I'm hoping it will be a non-issue at that point. If you are going to keep your engine and that ECU, though, and push your tune, I think you might need to find a way to tune the timing advance out.

  6. #5
    What it is? Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That shouldn't be a problem. I can always switch over to the 2G crank and cam sensors if needed. I'll be running a pretty basic tune for this summer. What did you do about your diagnostic port? I definitely want to run a datalogging setup. I was running MMCd on the 1G ECU

  7. #6
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2003

    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    I haven't figured that part out yet - I think that you just have to wire in an OBDII com port, but I'm not sure where to get one or how to wire it in. Probably will wind up being a 'learning by doing' type deal when i get there lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering