Thread: Help with wife's Hyundai Accent

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Help with wife's Hyundai Accent

So before I go an join a Hyundai forum I thought I would try here. My wife/partner has a 2001 Hyundai Accent [1.5L DOHC] which is much cheaper to run than my GTO so I have been using it to drive to and from work.
    This afternoon on my way home everything was normal aircon was working and I had the parkers on cus it was later afternoon. I stopped for petrol [gas for you yanks ] and turned off the car forgetting to turn off the parkers. Filled up and paid then when walking back I noticed one of the parkers was out so I thought I'll do a quick check and see if everything else is fine. Tail lights fine but when turning headlights on I got nothing..... I thought oh well must not work till the car is running so jumped in and drove home.
    Shortly after taking off I realised it was a bit hot and went to turn the aircon on and realised it was already on but the blower was not working. When I got home I parked in the carport and turned on the headlights [with car running] and got nothing.
    Highbeam flasher works if I gold the stick back but on normal headlights or if I set it to high beam then nothing. AC won't turn on without the blower so now no AC. Tried the blower without aircon and same.
    I found a blown fuse labled "Relay, RR fog" which I replaced and that blew the instant I turned the headlights on. Headlights lit up for 1 seconds then out and fuse was blown.

So... what could cause no headlight and no blower motor???? all other lights appear normal. radio/headunit is fine. Everything else appears to have power. Just not those 2....
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TUFFTR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Check your fuses first buddy. Sounds like a common fuse perhaps. Start with fuses first and yeah you'll know whats going on after you check fuses.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I did there was one blown fuse which blew the instant I turned the headlights back on. Currently don't have any more spares so will have to wait till tomorrow.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Disconnect the headlight globes and put another fuse in there. I doubt in such a new car there would be a wiring fault. I have seen globes short circuit and blow fuses so yeah give that a shot!

Owner Since

Thanks
    The fault appears to be in the headlight circuit. If I replace the fuse and turn the blower motor on it works fine and the aircon comes on. However as soon as I turn the headlights on the fuse blows. Fine on just parkers but blows on headlights. Only spent 2 mins today. Will try again tomorrow when I have more time.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Like I said, check the headlights themselves. They could be internally shorting out.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Not the headlights themselves. Unplgged them and same result. Will have to tear into the car tomorrow.