Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning. Possible retro fit.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks

Air Conditioning. Possible retro fit.

Well, my ac went out years ago, and I am still contemplating getting it to work again.

If I want to keep it R-12, I can buy the refrigerant on the internet and do it that way, along with resealing all the possible locations it could have leaked from, like O-rings and the like.

But if I wanted to make it into the R-134 system what all do I have to change or flush?

I can see I would need a new expansion valve, filter drier, different O-rings, and refrigerant. But what about the compressor or condenser, Evap core?

How hard of a task would it be to replace the expansion valve? I would have to remove the dash right?

Anyone know of a walk thru? I searched.
    Last edited by EvanH; 04-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) OhioSpyderman's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The only thing I did when I switch over to R-134 in the Stealth was have my mechanic friend evacuate the old system, then recharge it with R-134 (new fittings are required, but come with the switchover kit). Been cold for going on two years now. Total cost to switch, < $50.

Mine was not leaking, just low on charge....

Bob.
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/20 )

OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    Mine blew freezing cold one day and hot air the next, my compressor clutch wont turn on. It works, I jumped the relay to check, so I am guessing it blew a seal maybe.

And if it matters I have the auto AC.
    Last edited by EvanH; 04-17-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) OhioSpyderman's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure (but fairly sure) that the compressor won't come on if there isn't enough freon in the system. You could always add a "dye" charge, see if it comes on for a bit and then check for leaks with a black light.

Or, better yet, maybe someone on the board with REAL A/C skills could tell you EXACTLY what to do....

Bob.

Member Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a 92. Would my car have an r-12 system or r-134? My car is in dire need of some more freon.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaroth View Post
    I have a 92. Would my car have an r-12 system or r-134? My car is in dire need of some more freon.
    I believe 1993 was the year they switched, and that the 94 models were the first to have 134a.

That being said, unless someone already did the conversion on your car, its likely to have an R-12 system....

Bob.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Switching to 134 doesn't require any parts, just the conversion kit, as Bob stated, they run about $50. They only thing you need to do is make sure the system has been evacuated first. If you have a leak, it is typically a compressor seal that goes, and you can check for leaks using a black light and some dye. I need to do this myself actually, just haven't gotten around to it.

Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    So I don't even need to switch the expansion valve? I figure I would get a new drier for precaution and also I would just replace all o-rings then. How much colder or not colder does the 134 run compared to the 12?

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If doing this you SHOULD replace the recieved/dryer and every o-ring in the system. However as stated it's not essential. As for identifying the type of gas you can tell by looking at the 2 fill locations. The R123 gas has to caps usually red and blue that unscrew while the older type is usally just black caps and smaller connections. See pics in the below thread. Also there is usually a sticker in the engine bay advising what type it is.

Air conditioning doesn't work...what to do

However.... some ppl have been know to fill R12 systems with R134 without changing the fill valves so it can be very hard to work out. The correct process involves replacing the section of hose with the connections on it to the new type conections or buy adapters that adapter the R12 to the R134 type.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Also R12 is usually more efficiant so it will be colder with R12. However R134 is "better" for the environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast