Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that the weather is warming up...

Now that the weather is warming up...

I'm getting my to do list for this summer for my mistress. Amongst these jobs are finishing sound proofing the floor, painting the rest of the trim, fixing the power steering pump leak, etc. But I have two I have questions on, before I proceed, from a more experienced crowd. First issue that I'm seeking advice on is tuning. I have a 94 base, with a 91 Jdm motor, harness, and ecu in it. Just finished getting it in and running smoothly before the bad weather last fall, and at the time, it was running smoothly, and thanks to ccrunner, we got it tuned properly as well. But now as the weather is warming up, I'm still getting white "smoke" in my exhaust. It doesn't smell sweet, and I've been checking my oil and coolant levels all winter. Neither have changed. The only other thing I can think of is unburnt fuel? That would coincide with my fuel economy dropping, which I have begun to notice more and more. Recommendations? Should I just get an aftermarket fpr? I do have a wideband a/f gauge in the rear bank precat, and a single O2 sensor in the downpipe, which is where the ecu is getting its signal. Should I try a reset first? The Af gauge is registering ~14 at idle.

Next is the radiator fans. I wired them to always be on, and swapped out the larger passenger side fan for another of the smaller driver side ones. The hot-wire worked great on the driver side, but I still can't get the passenger side fan tied into the ignition circuit via the hi or lo relay. I'd like to keep the residing in the junction box to a minimum, so I was curious if someone has already done this, and could pass along how they did it? Also, related to the coolant temp, my prosport coolant temp gauge is registering ~20 degrees higher than my datalogger. Which should I believe? To the best of my knowledge, the ecu temp sensor has never been replaced, but I know that prosport gauges can have this tendency based on luck of the draw. Anyone got recommendations on that as well? Thanks for all you help in advance!

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The 2 fans have opposite switching methods. One switches on the earth [neg-] and the other switches on the pos+ So you have have to be creative with some relays to make it work. However I don;t understand why you did this? was it purely to get more room in the engine bay? or you thought if it's on 100% of the time it doesn't need to be as big?
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Exactly. I plan to eventually put on some 13G's, and need the clearance. Also, it doubles that as it is always on, it doesn't need to be on. I know others have done it, but I'm just not sure how.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I've pretty much spent all weekend in the garage. Got a decent amount done but not as much as I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    There is another thread where another member did the same thing and I explained what needed to be done. I'll see if I can locate it.

Edit: just realized it was your thread before. So I guess my instructions then didn't make sense. Hopefully someone else will be of assistance.

PS the 13G doesn't require an additional clearance so I think your making life hard for yourself for no reason. However clearance will help when installing etc.
    Last edited by GTOJOE; 04-17-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Joe!! Hahaha, yeah, at the time, I was frustrated, and had to step away from it, and ran out of good weather before I got back to it. I was looking for that thread now, but I couldn't find it. I'm thinking that this time round it'll make more sense, if I could locate it. I don't suppose you have the link handy, do you? Thanks for the heads up on the 13g, as well. I'm actually not making it all that much more difficult, since I could never get the stock fan running either. I never could figure out where that wiring discrepancy lay for the relays. I just figured it'd be easier with the constant on, running it like the other fan, leave more clearance, and now that it's in, I actually like the look of it. I figured that it'd just be easier to remove the current unknown factors and start fresh, so I know what is a problem and what isn't versus just guessing and assuming.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I guess I had the wrong idea for this thread. lol

Hahaha, nice green. Joe, I'm gonna check that out this weekend, after my exams. Thanks!

the BOSS of jellow supporter
    Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks
    warming up? We just (today) had 1 foot of snow here... yeah. warming my butt up.