Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel bushings for adjustable control arms?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Steel bushings for adjustable control arms?

Does anyone know where to get the correct size steel bushings for the rear camber and toe arms? Mine squeak so bad, and Ive tried every sort of lube/ grease i can think of. I replace the lube about once every two weeks and this is just getting old.
    93 Stealth ES - 3000GT conversion,AWD conversion, ACPT 1 piece CFDS, Operable AA wing, 99 rear garnish, R/T sails, ABS delete, SS Clutch line, SS braided brake lines, Vac clutch assist, 2G TT brakes all around, Kyb Gr-2 shocks, Megan Springs up front Tein S tech's in the rear, Cusco rear strut bar, Ebay front strut bar, TT cat back exhaust , K&N cone filter, Poly motor mounts, Poly front suspension bushings, and poly rear diff bushings.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    April 2010

Thanks
    you can get poly bushings on 3sx

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Stealth_E's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It likely isn't the bushing squeaking, but the actual rod end itself. Mine are getting pretty bad and I'll likely be replacing them with the teflon ends to see if they stay quiet a bit longer.

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I bought a set of the Maximal arms a while back. Overall the quality was good. However I could not make myself use the supplied aluminum bushings and 1/2" bolts. The oem bolts are 14mm if I remember correctly. I didn't like the aluminum and was not about to stick a 1/2" (12mm) bolt in a 14mm hole on something as critical as suspension. It looked like it was just asking to damage the holes in the frame over time to me.

I took one of the aluminum bushings and the factory bolt to a local machine shop. It ended up costing me around $20 to have all 4 steel bushings turned with the correct sized center hole to accept the factory bolt. My rear suspension is tight and I haven't heard the first squeak yet.

Check around and see what you local machine shops would charge to make these. The guy I used to make mine is very reasonably and does good work. The only problem is that he is kind of off the grid. If enough of you guys need these bushings I'll take a trip out to the country and get a batch of these things made up.

Forum User Feedback Score 2 (100%) Maximal's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlust182 View Post
    Does anyone know where to get the correct size steel bushings for the rear camber and toe arms? Mine squeak so bad, and Ive tried every sort of lube/ grease i can think of. I replace the lube about once every two weeks and this is just getting old.
    This is what you'll need: Suspension - Heavy Duty Adjustable Control Arm Rod Ends - Maximal Performance

The standard rod ends work for some people (I've had mine for years with no squeaks) and others have issues. Greasing them helps sometimes but the only sure-fire way to resolve it is the with HD teflon lined rod ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Need_a_Miracle View Post
    I bought a set of the Maximal arms a while back. Overall the quality was good. However I could not make myself use the supplied aluminum bushings and 1/2" bolts. The oem bolts are 14mm if I remember correctly. I didn't like the aluminum and was not about to stick a 1/2" (12mm) bolt in a 14mm hole on something as critical as suspension. It looked like it was just asking to damage the holes in the frame over time to me.

I took one of the aluminum bushings and the factory bolt to a local machine shop. It ended up costing me around $20 to have all 4 steel bushings turned with the correct sized center hole to accept the factory bolt. My rear suspension is tight and I haven't heard the first squeak yet.

Check around and see what you local machine shops would charge to make these. The guy I used to make mine is very reasonably and does good work. The only problem is that he is kind of off the grid. If enough of you guys need these bushings I'll take a trip out to the country and get a batch of these things made up.
    That 1/2" bolts are rated to more than enough to be fine but I understand you wanting piece of mind.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    By teflon coated does that mean the ball inside the loop is coated in teflon? i guess thats the next thing on my list to get then.
    Last edited by Bloodlust182; 04-27-2011 at 11:27 PM.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    I'll be mounting mine (with the teflon ends) next week - I'll try to remember to report the results here.

Terry-

Are you selling a lot of the teflon version?
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Keeping it real... Feedback Score 0 ChargerX3's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    You guys should think about putting a boot on as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChargerX3 For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Stealth_E's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So these teflon ends are sealed and self-lubricating, right? No prep before install or maintenance at all? I just ordered a set, but I'm considering a boot as well for added assurance of silence.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_E View Post
    So these teflon ends are sealed and self-lubricating, right? No prep before install or maintenance at all? I just ordered a set, but I'm considering a boot as well for added assurance of silence.
    I ordered some - they sent the wrong size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast