Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with warping my front brake rotors.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Problem with warping my front brake rotors.

So when I first got my car a few years ago the brake rotors were ok but shortly after they began to warp.

Something leading up to this just for background (I have no idea if this has anything to do with it). I was beating on the car through some back roads with some nice S corners when I came over a hill and someone was rolling to a stop at the intersection, I wasn't sure if they were going to stop or not so I got on the brakes pretty hard (no tire screech or anything) and it sounded like a piece of metal popped and I could feel it in the brake pedal.

I could not find anything wrong with the car from just looking at it afterwards and the car seemed to brake just fine still.

So that being said. I warped my stock rotors which I assumed had just been used and old. I got the IPS street brake package (IPS Motorsports) which I installed and brakes were nice and smooth again.

Drove it around for quite a while no problems. A short time later I got some 5Zigen Fn0rc1 (or w/e they are called) wheels and installed those. Still no problems for a few months or so then they start to warp again. At this point I was not sure that the first ones were the issue so I got them turned and installed again (the stock rotors). Few months pass, warped again, rinse and repeat about 3 times now after turning both sets 2 times or so.

I know that turning the rotors may make them out of balance and they will be susceptible to warping more easily but after a few thousand miles that does not seem right.

SO all of that being said here are the few things I need to know.

1. Could the wheels that I got put an uneven surface on the rotor to the point that they are warping them? Note: I have had these on and off a few times and torque them to speck each time.

2. I believe I am missing the little spring-loaded piece of metal that sits between the 2 pins on the back of the calipers (can't remember if its both sides or just one). Could this be the thing that I hear "pop" when I was on the in the first few weeks of having the car? and could this affect me constantly warping rotors?

3. I have been told that crappy pads can cause rotors to warp if you drive it somewhat hard (I do drive it hard but not to the point it should warp rotors like this). So would replacing AGAIN with new rotors and better pads correct the issue? I plan on going with carbotech rotors and pads.

ANYTHING else that someone has experienced and/or troubleshot with the same issue would be incredibly helpful as I don't want to just go spending money to replace everything if thats not what fixes it.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    I had just done my brakes with DBA rotors and Carbotech BobCats all around, after I had a warp feeling going on. Finished my swap, everything worked great for a few thousand miles.

Turned out my rear caliper was slowly seizing causing my rear rotor to warp. Didnt figure it out till one day I walked past my car after parking it, in shorts, and felt the heat coming off the wheel on my leg. Felt it with my hand and it was HOT. It had finally seized enough to cause warping from the excess friction.

And now I have another warped rotor because of that. So that was my problem. But I replaced my caliper.

edit: I hope this isn't to confusing, as I can see how it is. Sometimes I don't write to composed.
    Last edited by EvanH; 04-10-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: odd

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ok that makes sense. Why were the calipers seizing though? Just old age or possibly the brake fluid is to old to disperse heat fast enough? That is another thought I did not flush my brake fluid.... Could this have something to do with it?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    Mine was just age. Original calipers on the car with 150,000 miles on them.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    bump for more info.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

Multiple causes. Not using star pattern and torque wrench, uneven hubs/knuckles, didn't break in brakes properly, etc. Most of the time it is not heat.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ahh that is one thing I did not do is break in the brakes. This would be "bedding" them after install? How long the calipers last on these cars? (I think mine have over 160k on them)

Forum User verified
    Owner Since
    August 2003

Thanks
    Guess, I should mention that...I bedded mine as per the in box instructions. Anywho, good luck with getting it all worked out.

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I suggest a rebuild of your calipers, rebuild kits can be bought from any dealership or online parts store. Maybe replace your wheel bearings, too.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STiedVR4Guy View Post
    Ahh that is one thing I did not do is break in the brakes. This would be "bedding" them after install? How long the calipers last on these cars? (I think mine have over 160k on them)
    In theory the caliper will last forever. However if you fluid is old and dirty they may need servicing [Colt45 post a how to for this]. Perhaps your calipers need servicing as a stuck caliper piston can cause warping. Also when ever chaning rotors you should bed them in. The documentation that came with them should explain this process.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread