Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about BR's new TD-04? Supposed to be 9mm bigger than a 19T wheel? WOOT!

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks

Anyone know about BR's new TD-04? Supposed to be 9mm bigger than a 19T wheel? WOOT!

Was just talking to my buddy, Chris, Neighbor next door that owns a Genesis. Apparently BR just recently started building super TD-04's. They are intended to be used as bolt on turbos for the Genesis platforms. I don't know much about the Genesis boards but I do know the New Sonata and Genesis both have twin scrol TD-04 19T options from the manufacturer. So what's the deal with this supposid 65mm TD-04 compressor wheel? 19T is generally around 56mm so 65mm that's friggin HUGE! Anyone hear anything about this development?

Come on people... dig!

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Turbine wheel too small. I wouldn't recommend going any larger.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I wanna see it! Lets start stealing and stripping modded hyundais! :P
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Isn't Dr's comp wheel on the DR 7 series turbos like 66mm +/- ? And he's using an HL right?

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    I wanna see it! Lets start stealing and stripping modded hyundais! :P
    LOL you damn criminal... Seriously though, I think it's just a cartridge and re-sleeve. I'm going to call Buschur Racing tomorrow and get the low down. Apparently it's only $900 per turbo for the conversion.
    Last edited by J. Fast; 04-09-2011 at 03:56 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J. Fast For This Useful Post:

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j. Fast View Post
    lol you damn criminal... Seriously though, i think it's just a cartridge and re-sleeve. I'm going to call buschur racing tomorrow and get the low down. Apparently it's only $900 per turbo for the conversion.
    woot!

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Wondering how well 1.5L will push anything much larger than a 19T through a TD04 wheel. Twin scroll and TD04 manifold are two things I never thought would go in the same sentence.
    Support NG!

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So is the turbine the same size of the old technology 19T TD04?
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Comment From Buschur Racing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
    Yesterday I posted this in our BOV solution thread.

It seems that it grabbed many people's interest. The replies and PM's started pouring in.

Well....without further ado here is the information that many people are patiently waiting on.

March 27th I picked up the Coupe at the dealership. March 30th it arrived to the shop and we began R&D. On April 6th we ordered a brand new turbo from Hyundai. We received it within a week from the dealership.

Upon receiving the turbo from Hyundai this is what we saw:

The stock internals are SMALL. We were amazed to see wheels that small. Its been awhile to see something that size. lol The stock internals are rated for a maximum WHP in the ball park of 250-260.

With the turbo in hand we contacted our good friend Mike over at Blouch Turbo in Pennsylvania to give us a hand in coming up with a new upgraded combination for factory turbocharger. After Mike and the rest of the Blouch team received the turbo they had it for less than a week and it was on the way back to us with a new combination installed that they feel is a good starting point to seeing where the stock turbo housings will allow us to go.

We received the turbo back to find the factory compressor wheel was upgraded to a Blouch 35lb per min billet compressor wheel and the small stock turbine wheel was swapped for an upgraded TD04HL turbine wheel. This combination is said to be good for about 350whp.

After the Blouch treatment she now looks a little something like this:

This turbo has been on my desk since we received it back. We want to see what we can make on the factory turbo before jumping the gun to upgrade the turbo like others are doing. In order to further progress on the project we're at the mercy of getting some software to tune the car with. Thats the hold up right now.

Doing an upgrade on the factory turbocharger has many advantages over just switching to a turbo kit. If any of you have followed what we've done on the Evo we have pursued running a stock appearing turbo on the cars. There are a few reasons why. Price stays down, they offer a better spool up than a bigger framed turbo, they keep the fun factor of ripping around in the car, you have the stock appearing "sleeper" look and not to mention we have them pumping out some major power. Last year we built a stock appearing turbo Evo that went mid 9's in the quarter.

We offer 2 different "flavors" now in stock appearing for the Evo. A mild upgrade and also something a bit more wild.

I know some will ask "Why stick with the factory turbo with upgraded internals instead of just putting a complete kit on with a bigger turbo." The reason being is this.... coming from a 500+whp Evo powered with a larger 30series based turbo as well as driving plenty of Evo's and other cars with bigger turbos on them I can tell you that a stock appearing smaller framed turbo is a LOT more fun to drive around. After driving my car and then hopping into a car with a stock turbo or a 20G it almost made me want to take my turbo off just for more fun. If the Coupe pans out to be just like those other cars I think a bolt on 400whp stock appearing turbo will be the ticket for FUN.

Ive been quite a few places with the Coupe and one of the many comments I get is "So when is the 35R going on?" My reply "Probably never." A big turbo is fun for big power, drag racing, highway runs, etc... its not that FUN feeling though like a smaller turbo has when you can rip around town, hit some back road twisties, etc...a smaller turbo just makes the car more enjoyable to drive. I may put a big turbo on later just to see what we can do down the quarter. Only time will tell once we get into the testing of these stock appearing combination's.

Getting the perfect combination will take a little time but if you bare with us I'm sure it will be some interesting info as we start to test these and learn about the Coupe and its performance even more. We welcome you to come along for the ride as we dip further into this venture.

*PLEASE NOTE* - This turbo as well as any future combinations are still in the developmental stages. We will be offering these directly through Buschur Racing once the testing and final combination(s) have been reached that we will be offering. With this said we ask that you please do not call Blouch to try to order this or get more information of what is coming. They are a very busy group over there.

Thank you for reading as well as your continued support of Buschur Racing and what we're doing.
    So it is true... Yup says it right there on the stamp plate on the turbo.

Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Couldn't get any info on the major or minor but the compressor wheel average is 65mm. That's a big ass TD-04 upgrade!