Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine on my '91 GTO TT. It's been off the road for almost 5 years now (cripes has it been that long? ) after it pulled the power steering belt under the timing belt. (bang x 24)
Other things came up, and I've only really been working on it for the past year, a couple of hours here and there.

I'm just about to install the rear main seal and mount the oil pan, but I'm having trouble tracking down dimensions for the rear main seal installation tool - MD998718-01

I have a lathe, so I've been turning up the various seal install tools as I go, using dimensions from various helpful folks on the 'net, but I can't find anyone with the main seal install tool.

If anyone has it can you please post the height of the small step? (ie how far below the lip of the housing does the seal get pushed in?)

I've found some photos and it looks like slightly less that 1mm to me - maybe 0.75mm? I'm sure it's not overly critical (as long as it's not pushed all the way in!!!) but I like to do things by the book when I have the chance to!

If anyone would like to see a whole load of photos of my current progress, check out my Google sites page here:
http://sites.google.com/site/TheGreatRebuild

Cheers,
Kenneth
'91 GTO TT < almost back on the road...