Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM recieved my EMS, now the bill...

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

AEM recieved my EMS, now the bill...

Issue Description: 1311-0378- was working for 8 months or so then one day it started running funny. Now, the car has no fuel or spark. Car starts on the stock ECU. Inspect unit.

Issue Resolution: Inspected unit and found damaged internal circuitry for main relay. Will have to repair and replace components in order for unit to be fully functional again.

The amount due to proceed with Repairs/Labor will cost $654.00. For payment please fill out the attached AEM Credit Card Authorization form. Fax the signed form to 310-484-0152. Your RMA number is B44A36473A.

OMFG!

So, they said the main relay went bad? Said my charger at 15a quick charge can fry ECU's. Didnt know that. So what would cause that to fry the ecu? The trickle charge? I did that to my car whenever its was cold or I
    wasnt driving it. I never changed anything electrical. Just the turbo timer.

talked to one of the techs, took off $75 bucks. Said if I pay early tomm, they can have it shipped out tommorrow and possibly be here fri or sat!! Now, where can I scrounge up $579 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMFG!!!!!! im sad. I think after I get the box back im gonna sell it. Too expensive and honestly just draining...money and mentally.

1/4 mile 11.80 @117mph. 551whp 641trq @ 26psi E85 tune, MTC 19T-HLs, forge 15psi spring wastegates, 780 PTE inj, 3SX Fuel loop, ss fuel lines, Engine built by Laniers Speed shop, block bored .060 w/ chromolly rings, weisco pistons, 3sx custom forged rods, forged crank, HKS DLI, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO wideband, prosport oil and boost guages, aeromotive 1000 FPR, Dejon blow thru twintakes, Walbro E85 400 w/ 3sx hotwire kit and custom an fitting fuel pump w/ STM filter to pump line, CXRacing FMIC, Megan Racing Aluminum radiator, IPS custom downpipe, Borla 3" exhaust,Greddy profec b spec II EBC, Blitz SS BOV,R1 Drilled slotted rotors, Drag DR-31 rims, RPS stage 4 unsprung clutch,

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That is bullshit! Holy shit for $600 you could almost buy another unit.
    I would like to know the theory on the 15a charger frying ECU's.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTR View Post
    That is bullshit! Holy shit for $600 you could almost buy another unit.
    I would like to know the theory on the 15a charger frying ECU's.
    When i put my car on a charger and it fryed my A/C display and im starting to think it may have messed with my stock ecu also
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Owner Since

Thanks
    What type of relay is it, might not be hard at all to replace yourself.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well, I was an auto electrician apprentice for about 18 months, and one of the things I was told is, if charging a battery in the car, disconnect both cables going to the battery and only charge JUST the battery, never have the stocko cables connected + charger.

Guess it's a good piece of advice to tell others :/

I AM IMPORT POWER
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, chargers can fry shit. Sorry to hear. At least you know all your diag was right.

-Chris

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just one more reason I'm staying piggy back. Full rebuild on ECM $200 replace one relay on AEM $654. If it takes them 10 hours ($65 and hour) to fix it I think it 's time they hire a new technician.

Most powerful 13T car in the world @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, SS Headers and O2 housings front, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    They replace the main board for that price. It's not really a rebuild.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well, anyways, i talked to Ed and henry from AEM and It is a brand new EMS im getting. It will be here Fri as I paid to have it over nighted. They told me not to have any power connected to the main relay. I dont have anything tapped into the main harness. I will go thru the main ecu harness again, (originally had SAFC spliced in) and recheck eversingle wire to make sure in case. i did see a green wire that was open.

And they dont fix boards, they replace them with brand new boards. So, im good to go. I have to make a mount to mount the ems. It was just laying in there because I had no place or way to mount it. I think Ryan will come help me try to mount it.
    And yes, from now on i will never charge my car again with the battery cable on.

Wish I would've known this before hand. I did MULTIPLE 15a QUICK CHARGE with my car before. But with my new Battery shouldnt worry, and if I do trickle it I will pull out the ECI fuse.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you think even a 1.5A maintainer would fry things like that?