Thread: Bad td04 rebuild kit = blown turbo. Need some legal advice

Forum User verified
    Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Bad td04 rebuild kit = blown turbo. Need some legal advice

So halfway on my way home from my dyno session I noticed power levels were low uphills and my rear turbo I swear was hooting more and more. Checked the shaft play on the turbo and there was a ton of side to side. UGH. Front however, was money.

Both were rebuilt by me. I used two rebuild kits from a supplier on ebay and had them balanced properly. I've rebuilt many turbos and have never had a problem from bad assembly.

Tore into the turbo today and found the problem. The compressor journal bearing had a ton of play. Something was not right. I checked the other bearing and it was fine. Very weird. I was expecting that both would be worn. Odd thing is the inside of the bearing was perfect. The only wear that occurred is my compressor wheel and housing. I also noticed the thrust bearing was cracked, I'm guessing from the excess wobble that was happening.

I pulled the front just to be safe and it is 100% clean, no wear no issues.

The only thing I can think of is that the kit had the wrong sized bearing in it. I'm pissed. Mostly I'm pissed that I didn't see it when I assembled. I put on like dyno 14 runs on the turbos and it wasn't until the highway that I noticed it. I'm guessing the high oil pressure kept it steady. I went through about a gas tank of miles.

Any thoughts or advice? Is there anyway I can confirm this bearing was wrong to start?

SKADOOSH!!! verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) J_Parker's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you've had them balanced and can prove it with pictures I'm certain that you could get a replacement kit, providing that you can bring it up to the right people.
    Photobucket

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Damn that's a toughy. Was this straight up from a mitsu rebuild kit? Where did you get it from?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If it was that way from the beginning, It would have had significant shaft play that I would think would have been noticed regardless of whether you actually checked the clearances prior to assembly.

Even if it was the wrong part, you unfortunatly were the one that installed it... I don't see this any different than installing the wrong size bearings in a motor. It would be pretty hard to blame that on the parts store that sold you the wrong size...

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Forum User verified
    Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
    If it was that way from the beginning, It would have had significant shaft play that I would think would have been noticed regardless of whether you actually checked the clearances prior to assembly.

Even if it was the wrong part, you unfortunatly were the one that installed it... I don't see this any different than installing the wrong size bearings in a motor. It would be pretty hard to blame that on the parts store that sold you the wrong size...
    You know you are probably right. I'm cooled off a bit now and it's hard for me to really prove anything here. Ugh oh well. I guess the cost is really minuscule compared to the amount I've spent and should most likely just move on. It would be nice to be able to prove it wasn't my fault, maybe not for legal issues but for my own piece of mind.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Well... while I don't think you can do anything against the parts company, if you had the turbos balanced by a shop... How the hell were they able to balance the assembly with the wrong parts? I'd say if anything, during their part, they should have easily noticed that you had the wrong parts in it.

Forum User verified
    Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    Well... while I don't think you can do anything against the parts company, if you had the turbos balanced by a shop... How the hell were they able to balance the assembly with the wrong parts? I'd say if anything, during their part, they should have easily noticed that you had the wrong parts in it.
    Well the journal bearings aren't part of the balancing. Although you do make an interesting point here, how I do know the balance was done correctly? When I assemble I can make sure I line up their marks, but their marks could have been off. People make mistakes (I know I'm not perfect). It just irkes me because my car is so close to being reliable and putting down good power.

What it is? Not Verified Feedback Score 0 ViperZ's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Don't ever buy ebay kits again, they are pure crap. I've had my experience with ebay parts and it always ends in disaster. Gpop Shop makes great rebuild kits that you can trust

Forum User verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Amphiron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Don't ever trust anything from eBay thats "new". Take it from someone thats learned the hard way. Most likely you did everything right and you got some half assed parts that weren't even close to in tolerance. You got it right in the title "Bad TDO4 Kit"

Forum User verified
    Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well I just wanted to follow up on this one. I rebuilt that rear and 2500+ boosted miles later and they are both solid. Zero shaft play. Seems good to go now!