So halfway on my way home from my dyno session I noticed power levels were low uphills and my rear turbo I swear was hooting more and more. Checked the shaft play on the turbo and there was a ton of side to side. UGH. Front however, was money.

Both were rebuilt by me. I used two rebuild kits from a supplier on ebay and had them balanced properly. I've rebuilt many turbos and have never had a problem from bad assembly.

Tore into the turbo today and found the problem. The compressor journal bearing had a ton of play. Something was not right. I checked the other bearing and it was fine. Very weird. I was expecting that both would be worn. Odd thing is the inside of the bearing was perfect. The only wear that occurred is my compressor wheel and housing. I also noticed the thrust bearing was cracked, I'm guessing from the excess wobble that was happening.

I pulled the front just to be safe and it is 100% clean, no wear no issues.

The only thing I can think of is that the kit had the wrong sized bearing in it. I'm pissed. Mostly I'm pissed that I didn't see it when I assembled. I put on like dyno 14 runs on the turbos and it wasn't until the highway that I noticed it. I'm guessing the high oil pressure kept it steady. I went through about a gas tank of miles.

Any thoughts or advice? Is there anyway I can confirm this bearing was wrong to start?