Thread: Inexpensive resin... hows Bondo?

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Inexpensive resin... hows Bondo?

Never glassed before. Going to do a test project and make a custom top inside the center console to mount my MAFT controller. Just wondering from guys with experience, how does the Bondo brand resin hold up? I don't need a lot of resin, just enough to cover an area the size of the center console. Also was looking at Bondo brand mat as well.

Also need to know if I need a fiberglass filler to fill with or will a Dynatron filler work with fiberglass. I already have some dynatron filler, so I would prefer to use that instead of buying a different kind.

Just want some input on if this is a satisfactory product.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The first time I ever glassed was with the bondo resin and fiber. I got the kit from advanced auto. It worked out pretty well. Not sure how much that helps, but that's my experience.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That's what I was thinking about picking up to experiment with. I know the experienced guys will say how horrible it is and whatnot, but if it will hold up decently, I might do this small project with it. Plus, I live right down the road from an Advance.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    not too experienced, but id say for a non-structural beginners project its more about the right mixture and how you work with it than the actual resin itself. i know car audio guys that use to buy their stuff at walmart and it worked out fine.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The bondo resin works good enough, it just isn't as easy to work with and seems to "go bad" (randomly get hard in the container) relatively quickly. It's thicker than better quality resin and doesn't always soak into the fabric as well or dry and harden as evenly. Most any filler will go over fiberglass. I would just make sure to rough sand it some. The fiberglass fillers are for more "structural" repairs were more strength is needed. I never really use those because they are not usually the correct way to go about that sort of repair. For adding strength to fiberglass sheets, they can be useful.