Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some electrical wizards

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Looking for some electrical wizards

Some of you may have seen my Dimmer switch thread. Well that thread has died

I have found the wire that has shorted out, and i haven't checked the whole harness, so i dont know how far it goes. I unplugged all the plugs at the fuse box, and i see one plug with 2 green/white wires.

The dimmer switch's black/yellow wire ties in with the green/white wire at the radio connectors. So could some one tell me which green/white wire pin the dimmer switch is? They are side by side in the plug.

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks

One of the two circled in red, is the plug that has 2 green/white wires. One of them probably giving power to the rheostat.

Both seem perfectly fine. I dont wanna dig through the rest of the harness to remove the burnt wire, i just wanna replace it at the plug and run it on the outside of the harness, tape it so its safe from metal, so its quick and easy.

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Good luck with that. The green/white wire goes all over the place! It's the feed from the tail light relay that turns on just about everything, including the ashtray light, door switch light, dashboard lights, radio lights, footwell, lights, pretty much everything with a bulb in it. But to answer your question it looks like C71 pin 8 feeds the dimmer.
    This though could be your problem:
    The dimmer switch's black/yellow wire ties in with the green/white wire at the radio connectors.
    I don't see where they tie together, nor does it make sense that they should.
    The green/white is the hot feed to one side of the bulb, the black/yellow is the other side of the bulb and goes through the dimmer to ground. Tying them together would just jump right around the bulbs, tying power straight to ground through the dimmer.
    Try separating those two wires and see what happens.

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That is where they meet. The plug is what connects to the radio.

There is a random orange wire that connects the 2 together for some reason. I don't know why? It was there when i bought the car, it worked up until last year. Its gotta be there for a reason, though its definitely not factory.

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    OK, I looked through the diagrams again, as well as some other stuff I have on the stereo wiring and there's no way those two should be connected. The stereo diagrams confirm that those are the same two wires mentioned before.
    I don't know how it was working before or what else has been hacked in your wiring but that jumper has to go...
    Hmmm. I wonder it it depends on how the dimmer was set? Turn the dimmer down enough maybe it won't blow up but turn it up and kapow? Maybe you bumped up the dimmer somehow then when you turned on the lights? Either way that jumper would explain why the dimmer is melting..

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well when i replaced the burnt green/white wire to where i THOUGHT it ended... i tested it to see if it worked, but i realized just today that its in the wrong pin where that orange wire connects. Before the orange wire was 2 wires spliced together for some reason.. which might have caused the short.. now i made it just one wire.

I will test it tomorrow to see if it works.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Just in case you are still having trouble. I had no dash lights for about a year and tried finding a short with no success. I ended up removing the dash completely to find nothing wrong but it has worked ever since I reassembled the dash.

The hot Green/White wire coming from the dash/dimmer is connector D(C-71) pin 8. I color coded the connectors where the wire goes to different locations in the car. This wire goes to every bulb/connector in the dash.

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so the blue one is the one i want... okay. I pulled almost every plug on the junction box to look at what wires they have.

The bottom image is the front of the box i believe? Where the fuses are?

Thank you VERY much.

EDIT:
    by the way, to make this more interesting, there were no blown fuses, all my interior lights work, tail lights work, headlights work... etc.
    Last edited by Mike-92RT; 03-28-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: info added

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-92RT View Post
    so the blue one is the one i want... okay. I pulled almost every plug on the junction box to look at what wires they have.

The bottom image is the front of the box i believe? Where the fuses are?

Thank you VERY much.

EDIT:
    by the way, to make this more interesting, there were no blown fuses, all my interior lights work, tail lights work, headlights work... etc.
    The bottom image is the inside of the fuse box and where the circuits go.

Honda Eater
    Owner Since
    April 2007

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ictponder View Post
    The bottom image is the inside of the fuse box and where the circuits go.
    hmmmm okay, so if i wanted to take the easy way out, how would i do that?

I want to take a single wire from the radio connector plug, or from the rheostat black/yellow wire itself so it can work properly. Is this possible?