Thread: Best Injector - Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC) VS. Injector Dynamics

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Best Injector - Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC) VS. Injector Dynamics

Aloha,

I'm in the middle of trying to choose the best injector for a DR-650 pump gas car, and after performing a few searches two names seem to come out on top of the list, and I'm interested in whether anyone can actually speak to their respective benefits or not.

In summary why these two companies are preferred, from my understanding they not only match flow their injector sets (injectors have less than 0.X% flow difference at peak output) but they also match flow across the rev/fuel pressure range, thereby guaranteeing stock like idle.

Injector Dynamics doesn't actually offer a mid 600CC range injector, which is the typical recommended size for DR-605s due to inherent timing alterations. They do have a 725CC set of high impedance (which, while we have low impedance injector/ecu setups, cars which come with low impd. stock can drive high, but not the reverse) for $500.
    Injector Dynamics 725cc injectors for 3000GT Turbo

Meanwhile, FIC offers a 650CC set for $430 (low impedance) however, they don't indicate on their site quite as much flow testing under various pressures/voltages, so I'm not 100% that they match their injectors as well as I.D.
    650cc Mitsubishi 3000GT- VR4 / Dodge Stealth Injector Set (Low-Z)

Overall, the car will be tuned with a MAP ECUII - which allows for full timing control as well, if required, and an AEM WBO2.

Any input?

Thanks. -Ian
    Last edited by ijsaul; 03-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Think of the injectors flow being trapped in a bell curve. One linear line ascending (/), another decending (\). You decrease or increase fuel pressure or increase or decrease pulsewidth. If the intersection point of the two lies under the heart of the bell curve, they both will work swimmingly. Latency can be manipulated by toying with these two principles. I have FIC 1150's and they idle purdy. ID1000's, those run sweet too! Your estimated IPW requirements at idle lead me to believe you wont be dealing with really tiny IPW. Your raw value will be greater than 1 so use the FIC they will work fine and as a bonus you don't have to do extra wiring.

If you wanted huge injectors for ethanol and were in the 0.xx raw area you might get a different answer.

I believe if you use the search engine and look up "Ray Pampena" and "DR650" you will find he has already done the legwork for a 500hp setup and he's very open about the mods used to get there.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 3000GT MR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have FIC 650's I find they are extremely sensitive to voltage. My idle gets wacky with lights on or fans ect. Ive done every calculation in the book for dead times and latency with not a whole lot of luck. They are quicker than are 360's according to injector rehab Fuel Injector Lag Time. I find them a bit more laggey than stock about 20ms more latency. I like them otherwise. i have a 220amp alternator coming so hopefully that smooths things out. I run EMU so i only have 1 adjustment to make for latency
    Fully Forged, 16G's ect.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    For DR650's on pump gas, you should be looking at 550cc injectors. You'll only be able to run about a max of 17-18psi and that is with a front mount intercooler upgrade. RC550's are a better choice, or PTE580.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'd like to have the additional room in the injectors to run race gas as needed at the track, and one day pull off a 10 second pass on them, all else being maximized. Additionally, I have DR Stage II heads (stock cam), so I'm thinking I may need the extra flow even for pump, possibly.

Thanks J. Fast, that was pretty much my thought process as well for sticking with the FICs, no need to add additional complexity if I can help it. I've read and re-read the Ray P. posts on the DR-650s, I'm a big fan of his setup.

3000GT MR, I'm very interested in what you mentioned, what EMU are you utilizing? I'm going to run some more searches for idle issues with the FIC.

Thanks.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 3000GT MR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I use emu in stage 3. Its the latest and greatest revision. I may be selling the 650s in the near future because I may be on the maxed out side of things when I start raising the boost.
    Haven't decided mt hp goal