Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen my reverse gear? I can't seem to find it.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Anyone seen my reverse gear? I can't seem to find it.

Or rather, I can't get it to stay.

Once out of maybe 25 or more times, reverse would pop out of gear when I would lift the clutch. I'd clutch in, neutral, 1st gear, reverse, and it'd be fine. However, this time it's been 2 days and reverse has not worked at all - I've had to push the car.

All other gears, 1-6, work fine and no grinding. I can't tell if the 6spds have a reverse synchro or not, though I've seen info on the 5spd on Stealth316.

I checked the usuals - it's 100% stock so I don't think anything is hitting the arms, and I don't visibly see anything that would. I tried adjusting the linkage under the shift boot without any luck.

I can get into reverse fine. It just grinds slightly then pops out. It isn't that I'm not in reverse, since my other 6spd works fine, so I know I am not derping.

I may try putting it in reverse and then popping the cables off, and I also saw a TSB for one part on the top of the trans, so I may try that if popping the cables still makes it pop out of reverse. I wanted to post here for any updated thoughts or suggestions - almost all the info I found was 06 and prior.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes, 6-speeds have a synchro reverse.

If you hold back while slowly letting up the clutch, does it "pop" into reverse or kick you out?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anyonebutme View Post
    Yes, 6-speeds have a synchro reverse.

If you hold back while slowly letting up the clutch, does it "pop" into reverse or kick you out?
    It kicks itself out, but the shifter doesn't go into the normal neutral position, it goes about half way.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I know you say you've checked all the obvious. That said, I've had this problem on all three of the 95 VR4 6spds in the family. Two were the result of the counterweight (even after cutting) hitting either the FMIC piping or the lower radiator hose. The third was worn out/loose linkage bushings/mounts on the trans. I recommend complete removal of the counterweight. Or you can put the car in reverse (fully engaged, not running) then loosen the lower radiator hose and twist it until you have clearance. Hope you find the problem.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a reverse gear it's in a box in my garage! some JDM Chappy smoothed the syncro's engagement gears doing 180 degree turns!
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    April 2010

Thanks
    I have the same Issue. certainly no clearance issues for me. Bushings are good, im going to try and ajust the linkage and get a ressh spot on the gear that still have teeth.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I pulled the shifter boot and checked the linkage under the console, nothing catching or binding and it feels good going between gears. It just won't stay in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by BaadVR4 View Post
    I know you say you've checked all the obvious. That said, I've had this problem on all three of the 95 VR4 6spds in the family. Two were the result of the counterweight (even after cutting) hitting either the FMIC piping or the lower radiator hose. The third was worn out/loose linkage bushings/mounts on the trans. I recommend complete removal of the counterweight. Or you can put the car in reverse (fully engaged, not running) then loosen the lower radiator hose and twist it until you have clearance. Hope you find the problem.
    Was the counterweight hitting on a stock car? It's 100% stock, I even put the stock airbox back in (just had a cone filter on it). Hmm... I wonder if that pinched the lower rad hose somehow. I'm going to check on that in the morning.

Hate to ask a stupid question, but do you have a picture of the counterweight? If it's not needed, I don't mind removing it to test how it works without it.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you check the plate on the trany that holds the shift levers and the bolt on the side that holds it. I've had this issue due to both of these problems.

Most powerful 13T car in the world @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, SS Headers and O2 housings front, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.

seize the carpe! Feedback Score 0 Lithium's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Mine was doing the same thing, turned out I was missing half the teeth on the reverse gear. half the teeth as in all 12 teeth were there but only 50% of the 12 teeth. (not really sure how many teeth are actually on the gear but I want to say it was around 12ish).

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vr3.9 View Post
    Did you check the plate on the trany that holds the shift levers and the bolt on the side that holds it. I've had this issue due to both of these problems.
    I haven't - I'll check the plate, do you have a pic/description of the bolt on the side you're talking about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast