Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 rrod

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Xbox 360 rrod

Got a free 360 today from a professor at college. Warranty seal was not intact and the console has the RROD. I have the console apart right now. Looking at the motherboard. Was wondering if anyone had any specific problem areas or fixes. The MB doesn't visually look bad.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

DR-750 club Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) FeaRpb's Avatar
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    I fixed one by wrapping it in blankets and turning it on for awhile.

But if I remember right, the rrod deals with bad soldering. Tho I could be completely off and don't feel like googling to see if I am right lol.
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    lol I read about the towel fix. It works by overheating it so badly that it might melt the solder joints back together....... not doing that lol.

DR-750 club Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) FeaRpb's Avatar
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    Its worked ever since lol.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    towel-fix. microshit used poor design/poor solder--causing the solder to melt and produce the RROD. the towel-trick helps melt it back into place.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    towel-fix. microshit used poor design/poor solder--causing the solder to melt and produce the RROD. the towel-trick helps melt it back into place.
    Yes, I know... I stated that above. I really don't know if I like the idea of getting the box so hot that it melts solder (which can be up to 800 degrees). Don't get me wrong, the thing was free so I will do that as a last ditch effort... but I think first I will do the extra washer trick. I have cleaned both the CPU and GPU and will be putting some fresh arctic silver on both of them.

Either way, I'm pretty stoked to have gotten a free xbox 360. If I can get it working I'm going to paint the case flat blue and buy a hard drive for it.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Danube_3KGT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    cover the case in carbon fiber look alike material.. Send the case to me and with a little money I'll order the material and cover it for you..

Owner Since

Thanks
    Believe it or not... I actually really hate carbon fiber. lol, flame all you want. I don't like it.

Venom GT... I need a lotto ticket verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Vince86's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2009

Thanks
    there are tons and tons of youtube videos on how to reflow the GPU and CPU. just need a heat gun that can reach 500 degrees some tin foil and the proper tools to take the board completely out of the casing. I did two today as a matter of fact one of them was one of the very first 360s ever released lol. both are working great and out of the other 4 I have 2 of which were also re flowed by a heat gun from harbor freight and they have been working over a year with 0 issues. if you cant find the videos or do but arent sure which is best let me know Ill find you the good ones.

Ohh and towel tricks have been known to harm other components too so dont do it, also some of the videos arent the best but two key things are this, dont ever EVER! move tilt flip or heat on an uneven surface when attempting the reflow, and two, be sure to protect all the capacitors and other plastic parts from heat by wrapping in tin foil

Edit: one of the best videos I have found

Last edited by Vince86; 03-23-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince86 View Post
    there are tons and tons of youtube videos on how to reflow the GPU and CPU. just need a heat gun that can reach 500 degrees some tin foil and the proper tools to take the board completely out of the casing. I did two today as a matter of fact one of them was one of the very first 360s ever released lol. both are working great and out of the other 4 I have 2 of which were also re flowed by a heat gun from harbor freight and they have been working over a year with 0 issues. if you cant find the videos or do but arent sure which is best let me know Ill find you the good ones.

Ohh and towel tricks have been known to harm other components too so dont do it, also some of the videos arent the best but two key things are this, dont ever EVER! move tilt flip or heat on an uneven surface when attempting the reflow, and two, be sure to protect all the capacitors and other plastic parts from heat by wrapping in tin foil

Edit: one of the best videos I have found

EXACTLY why I wont do the towel trick. It has potential to damage other things.

I am going to do a similar method to the above except without a heat gun. I am going to basically let the fan blow ONLY on the CPU (so it doesn't overheat. If it does, the GPU will stop heating up) and let the GPU sit without a fan. You basically do this for about 6-10 minutes, all while observing the rings on the system. Once they disappear, you can put it all back together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast