Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the crank shaft off to change the timing!

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    could be crazy, but last set of fully assembled 3/s heads had all valves shut when off the car.
    As were mine.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    could be crazy, but last set of fully assembled 3/s heads had all valves shut when off the car.
    Well when you set the cams in they don't sit all the way down you have to snug the caps up before they do. I know they won't be all the way open but if I'm not mistaken it does depend on how they are set in. So in other words if the engine/cams are sitting in the wrong spot when the belt was cut it might not be in a favorable position to spin the engine. I know they will slip a few degrees in ether direction to a lower spot and none will be wide open but I'm sure they will be open some. How much and will it interfere with a piston I'm not sure. I personally wouldn't turn the engine but it sounds like at least one person has done it without causing damage so.....

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Actually, all he has to do is grab the cam gear and turn it by hand. The cam will settle in the position with the least amount of pressure against the springs, which is when all valves are closed. He won't hurt the valves or pistons that way either, if they do happen to make contact, it won't hurt them by just him turning by hand.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    It shouldn't but they can spin quite violently when they reach that point (don't ask me how I know lol). If he used his actual hands the gear could cut them. They could come to rest against a piston anyway. Like was mentioned before if he is pulling the heads I'd just pull them 1st.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since
    March 2007

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    Actually, all he has to do is grab the cam gear and turn it by hand. The cam will settle in the position with the least amount of pressure against the springs, which is when all valves are closed. He won't hurt the valves or pistons that way either, if they do happen to make contact, it won't hurt them by just him turning by hand.
    You are EXACTLY right. Unless a valve is bent so bad down on the stem that the valve won't go through the valve guide they ALL close.

94 3500gt vr2? verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    make a 50/50 mix of acetone/atf fluid
    spray it all over the bolt and washer
    let it sit for a few hours
    then you can almost unscrew it with your fingers lol
    another good trick if you dont have access to a crank pulley tool, is to put bolts or better yet metal rods that fit perfectly in the holes, brace a large pry bar against that and the 1/2" breaker bar pulling in opposite directions

i definitely wouldn't risk damaging the valves

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ok Im thinking you mean crank pulley instead of crankshaft. Since you already cut your timing belt you cant do the starter method. If you do you are risking your valves. So your next option is to remove your starter and wedge a thick flathead to hold your Flywheel in place( its alot easier if you have somone else to help, but you can do it yourself) then once you lock your flywheel now you can use a breaker bar and break the crank bolt loose. Hope this helps

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hit it with a rock

But really, although turning the cams to a position with the least amount of force to turn them by hand is where the valve's won't interfere with the pistons, it's probably best to just take the heads off first anyways, just for a little peace of mind.
    Photobucket

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since
    March 2007

Thanks
    I know for a FACT that ALL the valves will close when the timing belt is off and there is no tension on the springs. I rebuilt my motor less than 1 1/2 yrs ago. I carried my heads to the machine shop. I've seen several sets of heads out of the car and with the cams in the "relaxed" position the valves are closed. ALL of them.
    Even with the timing belt off, the starter will still turn the crank and thats what you are doing turning the crank instead of the bar. The starter meets with the flywheel, the flywheel is connected to the crank.
    I know for a FACT that if you get a breaker bar and put it against the subframe and tap the starter it will break loose the bolt that holds the HARMONIC BALANCER on. (I'm surprised noone knew that was what he was trying to get off, since everyone is so knowledgeable.) I've done it more than once and it is a known practice by alot of others.

if it doesnt get worked on this week i may just send it to tacora.. with a new born i cant wait much longer.. its been down for over 2 months