Thread: Air/Fuel Controller...Help me choose

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lightbulb Air/Fuel Controller...Help me choose

Ok so I'd like to get around 400 awhp with my set up. I have 13g turbos, supra fuel pump, FMIC, GM 3.0 MAF and 450cc injectors. I know I may be a little small on the turbos, but it is what it is. This will be a blow-thru setup. So, what controller would be best for my setup?

I was thinking about the MAF GEN II, or the AFC NEO. Opinions??

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    Either one will fit the bill. Just make sure if you buy a used NEO, it's not one that hasn't been reflashed as the early ones do not work properly unless they've been sent back to Apexi for updating.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Echo419 View Post
    Douches

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    im really confused. it sounds like you already have a 3" GM MAF, if so than im pretty sure you need the MAFT to translate the GM signal to the Karman signal. right? so i would just go with the MAFT and see what the car can lay down. if you come up a few hp short you could then try to add something small like jackhammer cam gears, an apexi neo (to use WITH the maft), or maybe some water meth injection.

on a side note does anyone know what version of the Neo is the one that was corrected from the factory? i got a V1.200 that the shop i bought it from claims is all set for a 3000GT/Stealth... but this is the same shop that claims to be able to make 400awhp on 9b's. i just dont want to go for tuning then find out i wasted my time, ray's time, and a ton of money.
    Last edited by thor'svr4; 03-16-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    the basic go fast bits...
    forged short block, Billet DR1000's, 680cc injectors, meth inj, FMIC, MAFT, Apexi Neo, hotwired 255lph fuel pump.

Tuned by Ray Pampena

Just a fun Daily Driver.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I believe I would need the MAFT if I went with the AFC NEO, but if I go with the MAF GEN II, I don't need the MAFT. Can someone confirm this??

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman17 View Post
    I believe I would need the MAFT if I went with the AFC NEO, but if I go with the MAF GEN II, I don't need the MAFT. Can someone confirm this??
    Im assuming this is what you mean by "MAF GEN II"
    MAF Translator.
    if so the "MAF GEN II" is still just a MAFT, just the newer version. its even called a MAF Translator Gen II on that site. so no matter what you will need some sort of translator (either the MAF Translator Gen II or the original MAFT). both will work, but i think since your pushing the 13G's kinda hard the MAF Translator Gen II might be a better choice of the two because it allows for 'finer' tuning than the original.

that being said i think your three options are
    1) MAF Translator Gen 2
    2) MAFT (original)
    3) MAFT (original) + Neo

no matter what you cant use just the Neo, every option requires some sort of translator.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman17 View Post
    I was thinking about the MAF GEN II, or the AFC NEO. Opinions??
    When I read your original question I was confused because it sounded like you were going to run either the MAF Translator Gen II OR just the Neo without any sort of translator. This confused me because as far as I know you NEED a translator (Gen 1 or 2) if you run a Neo with the GM MAF.

that’s why I said, “just go with the MAFT and see what the car can lay down.”.

I probably should have said ‘just go with the MAF Translator Gen II and see what the car can lay down”

Sorry for the confusion.

And if I’m wrong on anything, someone please correct me.
    Last edited by thor'svr4; 03-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I meant this one.
    FULL THROTTLE SPEED - MAF Translator Gen II
    But I think this is what I'll go with, anyone have any experience with it?

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thor'svr4 View Post
    im really confused. it sounds like you already have a 3" GM MAF, if so than im pretty sure you need the MAFT to translate the GM signal to the Karman signal. right? so i would just go with the MAFT and see what the car can lay down. if you come up a few hp short you could then try to add something small like jackhammer cam gears, an apexi neo (to use WITH the maft), or maybe some water meth injection.

on a side note does anyone know what version of the Neo is the one that was corrected from the factory? i got a V1.200 that the shop i bought it from claims is all set for a 3000GT/Stealth... but this is the same shop that claims to be able to make 400awhp on 9b's. i just dont want to go for tuning then find out i wasted my time, ray's time, and a ton of money.
    I agree with him since you already have the ingredients to make it happen, although the 450's are going to be spent rather quickly.

The A'PEXi AFC NEO is really nice. Yours should work since I was able to tune a local VR-4 with the following firmware update:

-sent from my G2
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

'92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bboyalan For This Useful Post:

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ok, just had another thought on this. I would also need a wideband gauge to go with this correct? Or does the NEO have a gauge built into it? Please correct me if I wrong, but if I went with the GEN II I would also need to purchase a wideband gauge, but if I went with the NEO the gauge is in the conroller?

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    you are going to want a wideband either way. None of the piggybacks have wideband controllers in them.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yea you def should install a wideband and a data logger if you don’t already have them.