Thread: Ground Locations

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Lightbulb Ground Locations

I ordered a new IAC/ISC valve from rockauto, my stock one looks like it shorted out near some of the pins. Before I put in the IAC, I want to double check that my grounds are okay so the same thing doesn't happen to the new part. I also have the issue where my lights go dim at idle.

I looked in the service manual for grounding locations, but the section where they show the locations does not include the ground strap from the plenum to the firewall nor the ground strap that is on the radiator bracket. Can anyone tell me where all the ground straps are?
    Last edited by Nytron; 03-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    1993 Pearl White 3000GT VR-4
    MODS: 7" S&B Intake | Stillen Downpipe | DNP Y-pipe | Gutted Pre-cats | GReddy Type-S BOV | MBC @ 14psi | Vac Reduction Mod | 2 Piece PST CFDS | Upgraded 19 row SMOC | 17x9" Rays/Volk Racing Challenge Wheels

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 GRN3500GT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Two 8” wires (one for chassis to terminal and one for alternator to chassis)
    Three 10” wires (one for throttle body to terminal, one for head to head, and one for chassis to intake plenum)
    One 18” wire (for rear head to terminal)
    One 20” wire (for transmission to terminal, manual transmission will have 27” wire)

this I got from a ground wire kit guide from the other site courtesy and thanks to MK 94 3000GT hope it helps

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GRN3500GT View Post
    Two 8” wires (one for chassis to terminal and one for alternator to chassis)
    Three 10” wires (one for throttle body to terminal, one for head to head, and one for chassis to intake plenum)
    One 18” wire (for rear head to terminal)
    One 20” wire (for transmission to terminal, manual transmission will have 27” wire)

this I got from a ground wire kit guide from the other site courtesy and thanks to MK 94 3000GT hope it helps
    Yeah, I have the .doc file for that ground wire kit. Are all those the stock wire locations?

For example, one of the steps:
    Step 7: remove the forward driver’s side alternator mount nut and install one end of the remaining 8” wire. Remove the nearest radiator mount bracket bolt and install the other end of the 8” wire. Reinstall the nut and bolt.

Looking at my car now there is no stock wire in this location near the radiator mount bracket, so in this case the wire kit isn't replacing a wire but adding a new one? Either that, or I'm missing one wire right there.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The ground wire kit ADDS wires. It doesn't replace stock ones.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yeahh stock does not have anywhere near that number of wires...

having said that I'd increase the number of earths for suuure.

from what I've seen there is one from the throttle linkage to the firewall and that's about it on my car ;( the starter had an earth directly to one of it's bolts (straight from the battery) since moving battery to the boot I've not adjusted that...been meaning to put another earth from engine to chassis but never gotten around to it.
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MR2 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, I'd love to add additional grounds, but need to know where all the stock ground locations are first so I can fix those.

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Are you referring to the battery grounds? There's one on the body by the solenoids and one to the engine down by the starter. What other grounds are you looking for?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to x2xtreme360 For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    Are you referring to the battery grounds? There's one on the body by the solenoids and one to the engine down by the starter. What other grounds are you looking for?
    Yes, any of the stock ground wire/strap locations that would affect voltage, such as the dimming lights at idle issue.

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The stock grounds are sufficient if they are still good wires and the connections are clean.
    Stock, the main ones are battery to firewall right at the battery location, battery to the trans/block via the ground wire that runs with the starter positive cable, and firewall to throttle cable mount on plenum via the flat braided cable.

-Chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja Performance For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Performance View Post
    The stock grounds are sufficient if they are still good wires and the connections are clean.
    Stock, the main ones are battery to firewall right at the battery location, battery to the trans/block via the ground wire that runs with the starter positive cable, and firewall to throttle cable mount on plenum via the flat braided cable.

-Chris
    Thanks, just what I was looking for. For some reason I thought there'd be more locations.

Thanks to everyone that replied.