Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCV'less front valve cover....(pics)

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sin'sVr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

PCV'less front valve cover....(pics)

OKay, well I was putting a new pcv valve and the little notch broke off. Well, had a guy reweld some aluminum on and I put a hose barb on instead. I was going to tap into the old hole, but there is a small tube that if you drill into it it will break, plus I dont want shavings in the baffle. Well, this work out better than I hoped. You can see the difference in diameter from teh pcv and the fitting I put on. I use DR Krank vents so the PCV is pointless for me and very restrictive. What do you guys think?

Mike
    valve diameter.jpgvalve cover new.jpgcover comp.jpg

1/4 mile 11.80 @117mph. 551whp 641trq @ 26psi E85 tune, MTC 19T-HLs, forge 15psi spring wastegates, 780 PTE inj, 3SX Fuel loop, ss fuel lines, Engine built by Laniers Speed shop, block bored .060 w/ chromolly rings, weisco pistons, 3sx custom forged rods, forged crank, HKS DLI, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO wideband, prosport oil and boost guages, aeromotive 1000 FPR, Dejon blow thru twintakes, Walbro E85 400 w/ 3sx hotwire kit and custom an fitting fuel pump w/ STM filter to pump line, CXRacing FMIC, Megan Racing Aluminum radiator, IPS custom downpipe, Borla 3" exhaust,Greddy profec b spec II EBC, Blitz SS BOV,R1 Drilled slotted rotors, Drag DR-31 rims, RPS stage 4 unsprung clutch,

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I use a threaded barbed nipple fitting that screws into the valve cover like a PCV and gives a barbed nipple to attach a hose to. You can get them from Mcmaster.

-Chris

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I need to do this and install my krank vents. Hopefully it will help my slight smoke on decel issue and not let stock pcv pressurize the heads anymore.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you're pressurizing the heads, just put some open breathers on for a temporary (that may turn permanent) fix. The PCV valve is meant to be restrictive in high-vacuum situations to prevent too high a percentage of unmetered air from entering the system.

I AM IMPORT POWER Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It also allows the valve stem seals to seal under vacuum. Otherwise they pass oil and you will see smoke out your exhaust.

-Chris

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ^ I know somebody that happened to. He's Green, and you won't like him when he's angry

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Nobody likes me when I'm nice ether

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Alright so Sin, Ninja Performance, RL7, and green-lantern all have a breather or crank vents. How are all of you routing them? I've seen maybe 5 different routing setups on the board and a couple of partial pics in the past few days. What's working for everyone? Pics or diagrams would be a big help and explanation as to why people are routing differently.
    Last edited by J. Fast; 03-10-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar like a 1st grader

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Well mine was all vented to atmosphere and of course it didn't push oil out of turbo seals anymore but soon after I started having VSS leak. Some have problems with this and some don't.

Now I put the rest back to stock except for this. I installed krank vents so they would close under vac.

So far it has seemed to work out well this way except I still get a little bit of smoke when I 1st fire it up at idle. I'm going to put another valve in between the rear head and the bubble and see if the extra vacuum helps seal the VSS. The valve will add some more resistance when venting the engine under boost but it should be OK.
    Last edited by green-lantern; 03-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    So that's going to be 3 vents total? As for now you reverted to running the stock PCV on the front passenger side, one crank vent on the front drivers side, one crank vent on the rear drivers side and what for the passenger side rear? What made you use a "T" from the front to rear on the drivers side instead of just adding a vent, was it still smoking or does it need to be that way to equalize the pressure in the heads because the block is split due to it being a "V"?
    Last edited by J. Fast; 03-11-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast